24V high Amp Alternator to Gel Cells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Hi Everyone,
Thinking of upgrading my alternator to a higher output unit.
The question I have is do I need a special regulator to charge Gel Cell house bank? Or, will the internal regulator on the alternator do the trick?
Much appreciation,
Taras

Alternators that are used for charging house banks benefit from a multi stage charger. It substantially reduces charge times by increasing output voltage and amperage. If you have the batteries already, check the manufacturer's web site for charging voltage recommendations. Most stock alternator regulators will probably not output above 27.6 volts. A quick look at Trojan Gel Cell batteries, shows a recommended charging voltage of 28.8 volts. I'm very happy with my Sterling external regulator for my alternator.

Ted

You NEED an alternator controller that can be set for Gel cells or you will soon be buying new gels. Balmar, AMple Power are two possibilities.

The gels are top notch batteries but absolutely need a proper controller, NOT the internal alternator regulator.

I will add the same is needed for the 120V charger. I have used Gels for years but me charger is not a fancy unit. No 3 stages. THe catch is I am the controller and understand well what is needed. Otherwise you also need a proper charger if you just want to plug in and go.

Last edited:
"The gels are top notch batteries but absolutely need a proper controller, NOT the internal alternator regulator."

This could be said of every internal regulator for every style of battery , if charge time and quality for a house bank is important.

Above about 2.4V per cell, gel cells will overheat, the case bulge, the gel bakes out, and generally become worthless. It takes the lowest charge voltage of all the popular types of lead/acid batteries.

"The gels are top notch batteries but absolutely need a proper controller, NOT the internal alternator regulator."

This could be said of every internal regulator for every style of battery , if charge time and quality for a house bank is important.

True but, gels, if you want them to last, are pickier. But you are right that for best life all batt. types will do better with a good alternator controller which is NOT the typical internal alternator controller.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom