Bicycles On Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
We have a pair of bicycles with covers that we take on board when cruising the eastern seaboard.

We are now wondering if there is any value to having these on board when in the Exumas. From two standpoints - one there being many places to use them and secondly, having to get them ashore in the dinghy.

Anyone taken them, thoughts?

Not sure where you would use them. We took our with us a few years ago and never found a need for them

I agree, not much use in the Bahamas.

But I had a folding Dahon bike that I used while solo cruisng the Atlantic ICW, Marathon, Key West and SW Florida. I used it extensively and it increased my range from maybe 1/2 mile from the town dock to 3-4 miles. Very useful in many places where grocery or big box stores were a few miles from the dock- Marathon, Key West, St Augustine, Beaufort, Georgetown, etc.

One folded bike works fine carrying it to shore on your dinghy. If you need two for you and your wife it can be done, but will be tight. A full size bike will be a PITA. Also you normal full size bike will be a rusted mess after a few moths. The Dahon is mostly aluminum.

David

We carried a nice aluminum alloy framed tandem bicycle on our last Bahamas cruise. Despite liberal dousings with WD 40, everything but the frame was a rusty mess by the time we hit Georgetown. It is still there. Somewhere. We gave it away to a local.

So, no then?

We bought a couple old, but not used - merely abused, Dahon 'Mariners'. Steel frames, steel parts in the derailleurs, steel cables, steel chainwheels, aluminum seat posts, aluminum cranksets. 'Mariner' must mean something else.

We plan to carry 'em on the Europa flybridge extensions in bags.

Hi, i like move kickboards, light weight aluminium, goes into a small space, easy to carry, can be reached as quickly as the bike. one drawback, can move on many surfaces except loose, sandsome people look at me like crazy, suits me well.

The most valuable shore item on board might be the folding shopping cart like grandmother had.

These can handle heavy loads cases of brew as well as propane tanks.

In my experience, if you're going shopping for groceries, supplies, etc., many retail stores will deliver your purchases to the docks. They're smart enough to recognize that this small inconvenience to them is a huge convenience to boaters. And a good source of income to the stores willing to do it.

We have a small folding dolly we use for 30 packs of beer. We use a backpack for groceries. We walk everywhere. If it's more than two miles (1 way), we'll take a cab or rent bikes.

Menzies

The only place in the Exumas that a bike would be beneficial would be Georgetown in my opinion. Staniel and Black Point are easily walkable.

Menzies

The only place in the Exumas that a bike would be beneficial would be Georgetown in my opinion. Staniel and Black Point are easily walkable.

Even in Georgetown, it wasn't that much fun to ride ours. Locals aren't used to bikes, and they drive like crazy people. It frankly scared me whenever I was on a road with no place to veer off to.

The grocery cart is a must. We have a red canvas folding one with four wheels that we have carried four six volt batteries and four 6 gallon jerry cans of water in. We paid like $60 for it at Wal-Mart. It has rusted some, but has otherwise held up well. We've been using it as a dock cart since we got back. We'll probably just get a brand new one for the next trip at that price.

Group 9

Agreed, natives drive crazy. My thoughts were that on Greorgetwon the distances are further than on most of the Exumas and a bike may be useful.

Group 9

Agreed, natives drive crazy. My thoughts were that on Greorgetwon the distances are further than on most of the Exumas and a bike may be useful.

I guess, really, riding a bike anywhere has some risks. They are a good way to get around. We rode ours a lot in Florida on the way down. Buy, a cheap one, and then you won't feel bad about dumping it off if you change your mind later!

"Buy, a cheap one, and then you won't feel bad about dumping it off if you change your mind later!"

Buy a cheap one and a can of pink or yellow reflecting spray paint.

Less need to lock it up at every location.

IMG_2003.JPGIMG_2004.JPG

We are serious cyclists and bring ours everywhere as live aboards. WD-40 stands for Water Displacement trial #40, that is all. Yes, it is a hydrocarbon but there are much better products out there for corrosion protection. Boeshield T9 is one (Derived at Boeing). Saltwater is very corrosive in a galvanic (dissimilar metal) environment. Rinsing the bike with fresh water and a spray of T9 does the trick and has for years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom