oil and swim platform for 36ft. Universal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plumber

What is the correct oil for a 120 Ford with 5600 hrs .* Runs great ,recent survey and no problems.I have a swim platform , teak, and would like to have a new one or one out of fiberglass.

A 40 weight oil in the summer and 30W in the winter. I use Chevron Delo 400 40W and 30W. Shell offers another product and is a high quality oil. There are others. I chose Chevron because it's such a proven product over umteen years and (somewhat important to me in Alaska) is availible anywhere. Even more important than the above is that you choose an oil w the proper API service rating. For example my automotive oil (Castrol 30W) has an API rating of SM, SL, SJ or SH. Delo 400 has an API rating of CF/SL and I'm sure it would be as good as any for your engine. Delo 400 comes in multi-vis as a 15W40. We warm up our engines slowly and in my opinion we don't need multi vis. 15W40 is best for trucks that warm up most often quickly and are required to work hard before the engine is really warmed up. Multi-vis is like "premium" gas. You only need it if you need it.

Shell Rotella T has a great rep, tho I am sure others are just as good. Shell pays my pension and retiree medical, so I try to give a little back!

"Shell pays my pension and retiree medical, so I try to give a little back!"

LOL...I'll buy Shell if you but Timken bearings. OK? *LOL

As for the Teak swim deck why not just fiberglass the existing deck as you are going to need a frame work of some sort.* We have a teak swim deck which is varnish but its *about 2 ft off the water so it does not get salt on it and in the winter I have a canvas/tarp to covers it so not rain on it.** *****

As for the oil, I would contact a local diesel mechanic as you will probable need one in the future so may as well find one now*so when the time comes that you really need him at least he know who you are.* I do the majority of the maintenance but I do have my mechanic a couple of time a year do some of the more messy heavy technical stuff.* He know my voice, and name, but his name is Phil also.*

I'm going to disagree w this** ...again. Mechanics are'nt engineers. They are qualified to make adjustments, do general maintenance, repair things and take things apart and put then back together. They don't formulate lubrication specifications or how much load you can put on an engine under what circumstances. If you're going to ask your mechanic what oil you should use I strongly advise you to ask him what the manufacturer recommends. The Ford Lehman manual recommends single weight oil from 10W to 40W depending on what temperature your weather is. The book recommends API CC rated oil. That is different than Delo 400 (CF/SL).You could call a Chevron distributor and ask him about the API rating. It may be that "CC" is an old designation and the the rating letter groups have changed. I seem to recall that that happened. They can't tell you what oil to use in your engine any more than a mechanic but they can say if one API rating is equivalent to another. Kinda like the sizing of car tires over time.

Al Ross,

What is the API rating for Shell Rotella without the "T"? "T" must be for turbocharged engines. My old Sabre 120 manual recommended Rotella and it is the same Ford engine as the Lehman. I don't have the manual as it is w the new owner. I would be surprised if the API rating was different from the Delo.

nomadwilly wrote:What is the API rating for Shell Rotella without the "T"? "T" must be for turbocharged engines. My old Sabre 120 manual recommended Rotella and it is the same Ford engine as the Lehman. I don't have the manual as it is w the new owner. I would be surprised if the API rating was different from the Delo.

I'm not sure you can buy Shell Rotella without the "T" designator....

http://www.shell.com/home/content/rotella/products/

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/products_services/on_the_road/oils_lubricants/

I've been using heavy duty oils for a long time, and motor oils for more than 45 years, and have never seen a Rotella container without the "T" designator.

Rotella "T" has an API of CJ-4 and CI-4 Plus.* Chevron Delo....the same as is Valvoline Premium Blue....

Thanks, JAT.. my expertise with Shell Oil products is pretty much limited to what I heard from the company and the buyers. I was a pencil-pusher/sales analyst. Everybody knows that Shell is Good Stuff...... right?

They still make lots of $$ and I know their rep for lubes is earned....

jleonard wrote:
"Shell pays my pension and retiree medical, so I try to give a little back!"

LOL...I'll buy Shell if you but Timken bearings. OK? *LOL
*I'll buy Shell Rotella AND Timken bearings if you guys pay your taxes to pay for my salary and retirement !

R.

nomadwilly wrote:
I'm going to disagree w this** ...again. Mechanics are'nt engineers. They are qualified to make adjustments, do general maintenance, repair things and take things apart and put then back together. They don't formulate lubrication specifications or how much load you can put on an engine under what circumstances. If you're going to ask your mechanic what oil you should use I strongly advise you to ask him what the manufacturer recommends. The Ford Lehman manual recommends single weight oil from 10W to 40W depending on what temperature your weather is. The book recommends API CC rated oil. That is different than Delo 400 (CF/SL).You could call a Chevron distributor and ask him about the API rating. It may be that "CC" is an old designation and the the rating letter groups have changed. I seem to recall that that happened. They can't tell you what oil to use in your engine any more than a mechanic but they can say if one API rating is equivalent to another. Kinda like the sizing of car tires over time.

Al Ross,

What is the API rating for Shell Rotella without the "T"? "T" must be for turbocharged engines. My old Sabre 120 manual recommended Rotella and it is the same Ford engine as the Lehman. I don't have the manual as it is w the new owner. I would be surprised if the API rating was different from the Delo.
Bob Smith of American Diesel Corpis the recognized Lehman expert. He recomends Shell Rotella SAE 30 oil, or other oil manufacturer equivalent.

Plumber - For your Lehman needs, start talking to American Diesel Corp. They will gladly give you FREE expert advice (as in NO CHARGE) for anything related to that engine.

R.

Back
Top Bottom