That will buff right out - boat hits ferry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those of us privilged enough to boat recreationally on the water should have a special respect for the men and women who operate commercial craft. Technically, in the case, there has been a determination of shared liability. But realistically, morally, a ferry operator should never have to dodge a vessel with no one at the helm. These operators are working people doing a difficult job. It probably wouldn't occur to me, as a ferry operator, that a vessel would be unmanned on autopilot.

I boat the San Juan and Gulf Islands frequently, and I get way out of the way of any commercial traffic. I don't arbitrarily assert right of way or maritime rules--they have a job to do, and I don't make it more difficult. In fact, I get out of the way of rude recreational traffic as well. Hopefully my reward will be in Trawler Heaven.

There is a difference between the legal, technical answer and the right answer. If we do more than our share on the water, and the commercial guys do more than their share, we can all enjoy the same waters.

I agree completely with the above.

I think greater fault has to go to the ferry captain simply because he's expected to have a greater knowledge as a licensed professional. The pleasure boater is definitely a bigger idiot for leaving the helm. I would think the ferry captain would have known something was amiss on the Nap Tyme as soon as it entered the 500 yard protection zone around the ferry.....that should have given him well over a minute to react.

I'd love to know the amount of the fine paid by Nap Tyme.

That the ferry is a big commercial vessel gives him no special status. If it did the CG would have ruled the boob on NapTyme full fault. They didn't. Of course we all try to stay out of the way of ferrys, big ships, tugs etc., that's just common sense for most of us. But that does not absolve responsibility of the ferry crew to AVOID a collision.

Reading and interpreting the report.
Nothing was mentioned about apportion of fault. Both were at fault, more or less equally for different reasons, insofar as can be gleaned from this article which of course may not tell a complete story. The ferry captain failed to take early action to avoid collision. He is expected to assume that others around him are stupid and must be closely watched to ascertain potential danger. He didn't do that soon enough.

That the ferry is a big commercial vessel gives him no special status. If it did the CG would have ruled the boob on NapTyme full fault. They didn't. Of course we all try to stay out of the way of ferrys, big ships, tugs etc., that's just common sense for most of us. But that does not absolve responsibility of the ferry crew to AVOID a collision.

Now THAT, I agree with.

I hope the skippers thought processes get a good buffing too!

I have a sailboat waiting to have work done there, Nap Tyme's work is keeping me waiting. When I saw it last week a cursory look made it look pretty close to be completed. I didn't look closely though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom