You guys know best.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigsfish

Guru
Vessel Name
Gotcha
Vessel Make
Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I was thinking the other day (yeah, hold your nasty comments) but since most of us are coastal vs trans ocean operators what are three things you feel very important to have with you on your one month cruise where you will have limited supplies. I'm not looking for the obvious like tools, parts, radio, life vests, extra water, ect. What is important to you that others might not have on board?

I'll start:
J&B weld
Silicone rescue tape
Scraps of wood

What say you?

th

twelve year old bottle of Wild Turkey :smitten:

wine, a lot of wine, in fact I am thinking to replace my two water tanks with two wine barrels :D

Batteries
matches
good books
good cigars

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Oh, so NOW you start with the qualifiers. You never mentioned a month. THIS is what it looks like BELOW deck...forward

harrods-wine-shop.jpg

this is looking aft...

shutterstock_9721690.jpg

Comfortable bed
Some comfort food
Kindle or other e reader
Large collection of your favorite music

Ted

Aside from the Maslovian basics:

Little boats:
10'/20hp Bullfrog
9' sailing Minto
8' Achilles "jolly boat"
Standup board
Single folbot kayak
(Also got double folbot, but it really doesn't fit) :D

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Oh, so NOW you start with the qualifiers. You never mentioned a month. THIS is what it looks like BELOW deck...forward

harrods-wine-shop.jpg

this is looking aft...

shutterstock_9721690.jpg
u

Mr RTF now you talk! I see a connoisseur in you! The boat on your pictures is my dream boat :D

If you combine RT's suggestion with Ahmeds common sense and take charge status, you will be good! Have a fun trip Irv!

Greetings,
Mr. BF. Sorry, I panicked..

Fishing gear and bait
Several pairs of reading glasses ($ store)
Mask, snorkel and fins.

Book(s), music (CDs or other), toys, not those, I mean kayaks.

Like OC Diver, I would not be without my Kindle.

Another thing I would suggest is to bring along at least one per person pair of LIGHTWEIGHT binoculars. The field glasses are easier on the wrists when holding. You'll each want a pair.

I found Bushnell's at a thrift store with a rocker gizmo to adjust the distance. I'm not sure what it's called, but love mine.

Along with the field binoculars, a bird book (I prefer Golden Guides) would be a good thing to have aboard.

For me, in Algae (my dinghy) I have a parasol to keep the sun off me. A way to be shaded while exploring is nice. A bimini for the dinghy would be most excellent. In that regard, a cooler for the dink will get a workout.

Parasol.jpg

Hint on coolers: Find some blue or pink insulating board and cut a piece that fits inside the cooler. Next, put your ice in the bottom of the cooler. Add the insulating board. Atop that, put your food. Beverages can go in the bottom.

The theory is this: Ice stays frozen at 32 degrees. Because the air surrounding the ice will be warmer, the less air you have, the longer the ice remains frozen. In testing my theory I found that with the blue board ice lasted 50% longer. Normally 24 hours, and it went up to 36 hours.

That's getting in and out of the cooler repeatedly for ice to make my tea. That was in the old days before I had enough solar to run my refrigerator. I love having the reefer. It's WONDERFUL to have cold beverages, a place to store food, etc.

This whole decadence thing is progressing very nicely! :)

The most important thing however is one to always keep in mind:
NO SCHEDULES.

Have fun!

Much of my cruising even going to the tropics has been in cool water.

My 12V electric sheet is a God send , as no time after a watch is spent warming up the bunk.

Although my boats have central heat , a bit extra warmth to fall asleep works for me.

Not on my boat , but I think a in sink garbage grinder with an inverter might cut down on the amount of garbage to go ashore.

If the engine is so large that a bypass is installed to dump excess cooling sea water overboard,( too much to dump thru the exhaust) running a pipe to the sink will show weather all is well, and make it easy to rinse after meals or coffee.

Last edited:
Finally, after numerous humorous post we get some real ideas. LMAO

Ted. Obviously his lady goes on his boat! LOL

Waterproof cell phone pouch
"Emergency" ponchos to keep handy for popup shoreside showers
Spare batteries
Movies
Extra gas canisters for the grill

Yes, good to see you again Janice, Where'bouts?

Bring a couple of folding chairs for use on deck or shore.

Good to see you back on Janice

Thanks Ted. I was seriously under the weather... down in my bunk for more than two weeks and then up but weak as a kitten for more time. I missed y'all too.

Concentrating was not on the horizon for a while there. I'm glad to be finally back to normal... well as normal as anyone can be who has lived on a 23' boat for nearly nine years. I moved aboard on Pi Day (3.14) in 2008. It's been a wonderful journey and keeps getting better and better.

Planning to leave the St. Pete area in a couple weeks, or less. I've got incoming packages and to finish stocking the larder. Gingersnaps, the Nabisco brand is only sold at Publix.

I was at the dinghy dock next to Publix last week but didn't feel up to walking across the parking lot. Just coffee and a parfait then off to anchor for a couple hours of reading. It's good to be able to read again. Heck, it's Great to be Vertical again!

Me, at McDonald's dinghy dock in Madeira Beach:
SeaweedAtMcD's-24feb.jpg

After being sick I'm being very careful not to do too much. Recovery after the half-century mark sure isn't fast!

Half century!, I wouldn't have said a day over 25.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom