Old 03-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #16
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrater View Post
Thanks @Portage_Bay and @twistedtree for addressing my question directly! When your only means of access to the ocean is through what is widely considered the most dangerous bar in the world, advice to "get out there and try it" just isn't very helpful. It's only safe till it's not, and turning around half-way often isn't an option. It's good to have some baseline rules-of-thumb to start with, so that experience-gathering can occur within a relatively safe space.
Be careful taking anybodies "rule of thumb" because you are asking experienced mariners who may not realize what they have become comfortable with over time.

YOU have to learn. You have to start easy and build skills.

My advice is to go out in flat calm conditions first. Learn how your boat handles.

Then go out in slightly less perfect conditions. Learn how your boat handles.

Baby steps here. Remember you are learning.

If you have a specific bar you are crossing go watch other boats in various sea states. See what they go through.

Continue this learning process, slowly. YOU will not only build skills, you will learn where you and your passengers comfort level is.

I will not tell you what we go out in because as a newby you would get the crap scared out of you and probably never go out again. But to us, it's no big deal. Because we took baby steps. Because I learned over time to be a competent rough water Coxswain. Because my wife has over time learned that she is safe in certain water, and that it's just something we have to get through to get to our destination.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote