New Stairs from Saloon to Forepeak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DHeckrotte

Guru
Vessel Name
Revel
Vessel Make
1984 Fu Hwa 39
Too late for before pics, I have demolished the Teak two-tread stair and also the old Teak ladder to the flybridge. The new stair will be mounted on bronze clips on the bulkhead and barrel bolts into the sole just like the existing was. The new stair will be at 45 deg and have three treads, while the existing was at 60 deg. The third tread will be glued up out of the treads salvaged from the flybridge. Sloth and fiscal reticence will have me filling the old dadoes with scrap Teak and I'll cut new dadoes on the 'horses'.

Pics will follow. Below is a .pdf of the AutoCAD drawing. The left (top) bit shows that the new 'horses' can be cut from the existing 'horses'. The middle bit is a cross section of the new stair, and through the corridor showing the salon to the left, the forepeak to the right and a bit of one of the doors to a berth. The right bit is a similar cross section and the existing stair. The circle and upper angled line shows that the headroom was inadequate by residential design standards and will remain so. (Irksome that I cannot rotate the .pdf, sorry!)

Attachments

• 2017-02-24 ForepeakStair.pdf
    4.6 KB · Views: 118
Progress as of this afternoon. In the true manner of scope creep, I'll be making drawers under the stairs. Drawer fronts, laminated with scrap Teak, are just sitting there. As noted, the horses are repurposed from the three-riser_two-tread existing and the treads are modified. The plywood 'cheeks' will receive ledges for the upper two drawers to slide upon; the bottom drawer will slide on the sole. The usual sort of Teak finger hole pulls are on order.

Attachments

• IMG_3001.jpg
    IMG_3001.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3002.jpg
    IMG_3002.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 185
forepeak? Hard to visualize this work to get to the most forward part of the boat, usually about where the anchor is stowed. What boat is this, I forget?

Nice work Mr DH.

78p-t, Revel is an ordinary TT with saloon and a lower forward cabin area containing two 'staterooms', the head and a corridor. For lack of a better word, I've been calling that whole lower level the forepeak.

I really admire your craftsmanship DH. Nice work!

Wet sanded after these pics were taken. One more coat of Minwax Indoor/Outdoor satin urethane and they're ready for the boat.

These stairs fit loosely between fore-and-aft bulkheads, thus the plywood cheeks won't show. The drawer backs are 1/2" shy of the Teak since I don't have any idea whether the sole and the ER bulkhead are horizontal and vertical respectively.

Attachments

• IMG_3008.jpg
    IMG_3008.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3009.jpg
    IMG_3009.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3011.jpg
    IMG_3011.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
very nice job. I am jealous of your workshop!

Nice work . Good use of materials on hand . Great idea .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom