Lake Erie to NYC and back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kip Anderson

Vessel Name
Summer School
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 34 double cabin
First time trip going from Lake Erie through Erie Canal to NYC. The end goal is visit family in New Brunswick New Jersey for a couple of days and then circle the Statue of Liberty and return to Ohio. We plan on leaving mid June and returning in July. Looking for some local knowledge.
1. How long should I budget timewise for trip to NYC area?
2. Is there a recommendation for a marina in the Hudson river New Jersey area that is affordable?
3.Is there a set of ports that we can stay at on way down and a different set for the way back? Are there any that we are really nice and we would want to stay both ways.
4.What charts or cruising guides should I buy? I have Skipper Bob Erie Canal, New York Erie Canal chart book, a preloaded Garmin GPS, and INAV on an Ipad.
5. Yes the boats name is "Summer School" and we're teachers.
Thanks

First time trip going from Lake Erie through Erie Canal to NYC. The end goal is visit family in New Brunswick New Jersey for a couple of days and then circle the Statue of Liberty and return to Ohio. We plan on leaving mid June and returning in July. Looking for some local knowledge.
1. How long should I budget timewise for trip to NYC area?
2. Is there a recommendation for a marina in the Hudson river New Jersey area that is affordable?
3.Is there a set of ports that we can stay at on way down and a different set for the way back? Are there any that we are really nice and we would want to stay both ways.
4.What charts or cruising guides should I buy? I have Skipper Bob Erie Canal, New York Erie Canal chart book, a preloaded Garmin GPS, and INAV on an Ipad.
5. Yes the boats name is "Summer School" and we're teachers.
Thanks

You're talking roughly 470 statute miles (410 nm) and 58 locks. More than how long you should budget, I'd ask how long do you have? You can make the trip easily in two weeks, but not see all there is along the way. For the days we cruised, we found 30 to 40 nm and 3-4 locks to be a good pace on the section we covered, just from NYC to the Oswego. We cruised a little more than one out of every two days as some places we could see what we wanted in a half day. However, lets say you average 18 nm per day (36 every other day), then that's just over three weeks.

I would want at least two weeks and up to 4 weeks.

Yes, in most areas you can choose alternate ports. On trips like that we like to do what we call "leapfrog cruising." We note all the places we'd like to stop. Then we take every other stop going one way and those between on the way back. So we leap over a lot of stops going that we'll pick up returning. Now there will be some you will want to get both ways. We also make sure to leave some good stops for the return trip so it will be equal in fun. However, one caveat. As you get near the completion of the round trip, you may find yourself more anxious to complete it so don't overburden the latter part of the return trip so much that you'll then decide to shortchange it.

We love the history of local areas, those type attractions, museums, art, anything the area is famous for from a cooking school to a side trip to Cooperstown. I do encourage some side trips from the waters. For example, Cooperstown is less than an hour from St. Johnsville. As we lived in NC and now FL, we'd never been in that area at all. Even the non-baseball fans, non sports fans, with us, found it fascinating.

As to reasonable prices, the cheapest I'm familiar with is $3/day. The better marinas generally $3.50-$4.00. Still much cheaper than the NY side. I think you just decide what you want to do or see in the NY area and then the marina that best allows you to do that. Not far up the Hudson you find as low as $1/day. It is always possible to stay up the River just a little bit and commute to the city. Or you time things to minimize your dock days in NY/NJ.

y.ou can vary your trip by exiting the Erie Canal at the Oswego river and taking lake Ontario to the Welland canal back to lake Erie if you seek variety in your travels on one leg.

Active captain is a great asset for planning this, especially for NYC area. Like others have said it all depends on how long you like to travel a day, lock days are more of a slow and steady type of environment, the Hudson (especially the lower) miles can be made up and views are large and vast.
One last thing, if there is a large rain fall keep a close watch for floating wood/logs, they can really ruin a trip.

Active Capt very helpful
Bacchus link in my signature (using TF website) has a section of cruising notes for a good deal of this route...hope you have the time to do this leasurely as it does add to the enjoyment.
Let us know if a side trip to the Finger Lakes is a possibility.

I have done the Hudson River from NYC up to Waterford and then west on the Erie Canal about half way to Oneida Lake and back. Along the Erie you can stay at some sidewalls along the lock for free as well as several town docks: Sylvan Beach, Rome, Herkimer, Little Falls, Canajoharie and Waterford.

Down the Hudson there are only a few free docks but it is also possible to anchor out off to the side of the Hudson. Check with Active Captain for details. Lots of marinas as well.

In NYC, one of the cheapest places to stay is to take a mooring at 79th St Boat Basin in Manhatten for $30/night if you are less than 40'. You will need a good dinghy and outboard to get to the marina docks as the current can be strong there- 3-4 kts. Slips if available are $3.50/ft. This is a great spot for access to all that NYC has to offer. The subway stop is only a few blocks from the marina.

Closer to New Brunswick there is the Perth Amboy Municipal Marina and a couple of others on Staten Island. AC says that the Perth Amboy transient rate is $2.00/ft.

David

I'm planning for a trip from SC to NYC and then the Hudson and at least part of the Erie Canal. Of course I want to see the Statue of Liberty. From what I've learned, Liberty Landing Marina is the marina with a view of the Statue of Liberty. It's on the NJ side and I believe is about $4 per foot plus electricity. Nothing is cheap in NYC.

I recommend not rushing your trip. If you're in a hurry, drive your car. There's little point in cruising past places. You should stop and experience as much as you can along the way.

Active Captain can help you with marina and anchorage information. The cruising guides can help with the rest.

The length of time your trip will take depends on how far you go each day, the mileage and speed limit and locking times in the Erie Canal.

I'm planning for a trip from SC to NYC and then the Hudson and at least part of the Erie Canal. Of course I want to see the Statue of Liberty. From what I've learned, Liberty Landing Marina is the marina with a view of the Statue of Liberty. It's on the NJ side and I believe is about $4 per foot plus electricity. Nothing is cheap in NYC.

I recommend not rushing your trip. If you're in a hurry, drive your car. There's little point in cruising past places. You should stop and experience as much as you can along the way.

Active Captain can help you with marina and anchorage information. The cruising guides can help with the rest.

The length of time your trip will take depends on how far you go each day, the mileage and speed limit and locking times in the Erie Canal.

Liberty Landing is $4.50 this year during peak season, $3.00 off season.

There's so much to see and experience all along the way. That includes NYC and there it's just a matter of how much of NYC you've seen in the past and what you want to budget for this trip.

I took 5 weeks just on the Erie Canal. There are a tremendous number of stops and places to visit.

I wish I would have spent 6+ weeks there...

Liberty Landing is $4.50 this year during peak season, $3.00 off season..

The thing I remember about their website is seeing something about if you try to fool them on your boat's length they will charge you double for the difference or something like that.

Like I said, NYC is not cheap by any means so if you go, be prepared to pay the price. And you should be prepared to tip in NYC.

The thing I remember about their website is seeing something about if you try to fool them on your boat's length they will charge you double for the difference or something like that.

Like I said, NYC is not cheap by any means so if you go, be prepared to pay the price. And you should be prepared to tip in NYC.

This spring we docked at Newport at $5.50. On the Manhattan side, W 79th is small but it's $3.50 if you reserve early enough. La Marina on the upper west side is shown at $2 but only has 16 slips. Chelsea is $7.50. We normally dock at North Cove, but they don't open until May 1. They're more than Chelsea.

We are still in the planning stages of this years cruise and I appreciate the comments. Bacchus I especially appreciate the notes you have on your website for the Erie Canal. Does anyone have a marina suggestion for a place to leave the boat for a week or two if we decide to take a break? Maybe upstream from NYC? I think liberty landing sounds good for a night or two but $4 a foot seems pricey to me. David, I'll look into the 79th st boat basin for a day or two. I suppose I'll also get active captain on the boat iPad.
We considered going into Lake Ontario but not this year. I've been through the Welland Canal twice once up in a 40' sailboat and down in a 32' sailboat a couple of years latter both doing deliveries. I don't think it's a pleasant experience for a recreational boat. Lake freighters have pieces of steel welded to their bow that they grind against the walls of the locks as they pass through. The locks have deep gouges that will rip the heck out of your boat. Marinas on both ends sell animal feed bags that are stuffed with straw that you buy and use as disposable fenders. Recreational boats are lined up and the biggest one is put against the wall and rest are rafted off the boat against the wall. You have no choice in the matter and are directed where to go. Both times I was on the wall with a delivery- not fun. I don't think our little marine trader would do well if it were against the wall. I think we'll stick to the Erie Canal.

Thanks for all of the advice and please keep it coming.

Skipper bob gives a good overview of the trip, but is otherwise pretty dated. Active Captain gives good point info, but no overview. So the two go together well.

I also highly recommend the NYS canal map/guide. It's a booklet with charts of the full canal system, distances between locks, lock contact info, bridge clearances, etc. It's a wealth of info, and well worth the cost.

If you google around, you can probably find quite a few blogs on that trip. We have one too from 2012 if I recall.

This spring we docked at Newport at $5.50. On the Manhattan side, W 79th is small but it's $3.50 if you reserve early enough. La Marina on the upper west side is shown at $2 but only has 16 slips. Chelsea is $7.50. We normally dock at North Cove, but they don't open until May 1. They're more than Chelsea.

My primary reason for the trip is to see the Statue of Liberty. From the maps, Liberty Landing seems to be the place to do that. I don't care a lot about visiting NYC itself. I might if it's convenient.

Be sure to have the phone numbers of the marinas you plan to visit. They immediately answer the phone but they don't listen to VHF.

My information is almost twenty years old but I remember Catskill Marina was excellent - very well run and very protected with a nice restaurant nearby. Troy town docks and St. Johnsville marina have the nicest dock masters. Troy has 3 really nice micro brewery-restaurants within stumbling distance of the dock and the town is getting very "Hip". Bring your Wayfarers and flannel shirts. Over-nighting on a mooring at 79th st. boat basin is preferable to a slip due to river traffic wakes. I never stayed but Waterford town dock looks wonderful (and crowded).

Lock 17 on the Erie Canal is BIOTCH. Everyone lives through it but nobody likes it. All the others are fine. During the week they are virtually empty. You have the whole system to yourself.

A lot of the towns along the Erie and somewhat along the Hudson have summer festivals. Try to find the dates and plan accordingly (to join in or not).

Hopefully Lake Oneida won't be blooming when you pass through. (Yuck) Don't stop at the lock 23 on the western side of Lake Oneida. All the boats at the lock wall were attacked at night by local teenage scum. They don't even leave when repelled - they party all night at the lock. Apparently they do this often. For a safer trip don't stop in this area. Everyplace else was nice.

I'm not far from New Brunswick. Give me a shout if you want to get together or you need something. You are in for a fun trip. Take lots of pictures.

Here is my very simple (circa Y2K) website of the trip. Hope it helps. welcome2

If anyone is looking for a marina around lock23 you !Ight consider Pirates Cove between lock 23 and three Rivers. It's old but the owners are super friendly and helpful...The pool is a welcome refreshment and the on-site restaurant serves simple bar food. I do believe there is a courtesy car available for shopping.

My primary reason for the trip is to see the Statue of Liberty. From the maps, Liberty Landing seems to be the place to do that. I don't care a lot about visiting NYC itself. I might if it's convenient.

You might be able to see the statue from the upper parking lot of Liberty Landing, but your not that close for a good look. To get up reasonably close you'll have to boat. It's usually a pretty steady parade and you just jump in line with the tour boats and others, just follow the leaders and don't screw up the pattern or the tour boats, ferries or dinner cruisers will run you over, lol.

We had to base our charters out of NYC a couple of summers ago so had to use Chelsea Piers, what an absolute s**thole. They promised us shore power, there was none working, determined to be a blown $5 fuse they wouldn't let me fix, and unions wouldn't fix, I was spending between $400-$500 a day to run my gens all summer. Never knew when you would get potable water to work, and no pump out facility even though it's a zero discharge area. Also a no wake zone, but nobody told the ferry drivers that, we had guests getting sea sick both on the boat and standing on the floating docks. The worst!!!
We'd run over to Liberty Landing whenever boss wasn't around just for power, water and decent nights sleep.

We had to base our charters out of NYC a couple of summers ago so had to use Chelsea Piers, what an absolute s**thole. They promised us shore power, there was none working, determined to be a blown $5 fuse they wouldn't let me fix, and unions wouldn't fix, I was spending between $400-$500 a day to run my gens all summer. Never knew when you would get potable water to work, and no pump out facility even though it's a zero discharge area. Also a no wake zone, but nobody told the ferry drivers that, we had guests getting sea sick both on the boat and standing on the floating docks. The worst!!!
We'd run over to Liberty Landing whenever boss wasn't around just for power, water and decent nights sleep.

Liberty Landing, Newport and North Cove are all nice. North Cove extremely pricey. Liberty Landing and Newport both very convenient to transportation to Manhattan. NYC can be an incredible time and it's just not worth it to ruin the time there with a place like you experienced at Chelsea.

Then when you've reached your limit in terms of money you wish to spend, you can stay up the Hudson and travel to town.

We were there in 2015 for July 4. Then water traffic is really a madhouse. Going to the fireworks in your own boat is fun, just once in your life. Not worth the effort to get that close thereafter.

Across the little inlet from Liberty Landing is Liberty Harbor Marina. I would avoid it. Stayed there a couple of nights and had rats running around the deck of my boat at night. Chased them off and they jumped into the water. I left a daybreak the next morning despite bad weather.

You might be able to see the statue from the upper parking lot of Liberty Landing, but your not that close for a good look. To get up reasonably close you'll have to boat. It's usually a pretty steady parade and you just jump in line with the tour boats and others, just follow the leaders and don't screw up the pattern or the tour boats, ferries or dinner cruisers will run you over, lol. ..............

Thanks. My plan was to cruise by it but also to pay for the trip to the statue and Elis Island. We're going south this spring so the NYC trip is next year.

Haverstraw Marina would be a good place to leave your boat, been there a number of times, security and well protected and easily accessible by car.

Haverstraw Marina would be a good place to leave your boat, been there a number of times, security and well protected and easily accessible by car.

I second Haverstraw. Sold some boats out of there and they were friendly and professional everytime. Call ahead they are big and good which means busy.

Back
Top Bottom