Pushing the red button

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
To turn off my JD 4045, I push a red button. Just curious: how that's accomplished, cutting off compression?

To turn off my JD 4045, I push a red button. Just curious: how that's accomplished, cutting off compression?

Seems more likely/simpler to cut off fuel. Do you hold it down until revs stop?

Nice looking panel, BTW.

On a diesel when you push your red button it is either putting power or cutting power to a solenoid (depending of the type of solenoid) that will cut the fuel alimentation and stop the engine.

giphy.gif

Seems more likely/simpler to cut off fuel. Do you hold it down until revs stop?

Nice looking panel, BTW.

Thanks. I designed the upper panel. :blush: Yes, holding the button until engine stops, within a couple of seconds.

I would guess fuel cutoff. What does your manual say?

I would guess fuel cutoff. What does your manual say?

The manual is a half-inch thick, but doubt it mentions how the engine works after having skimming through it sometime back. (And leaving for Mexico for 10 days shortly, so won't be back to the boat until mid-March where the manual resides.)

Last edited:
With electrically remote controlled "mechanical" engines, a solenoid puts fuel pump to zero fuel delivery position. Exactly same operation as pulling the stop cable on earlier versions.
With "electronic" engines, stop command does the same thing, ecm uses injector control to achieve it.

You could check the wiring diagram at the back of your 1/2" thick manual to confirm whether the switch is wired to a power-on or power-off type solenoid.

The old decompression type pull cables aren't used much on newer engines.

You could check the wiring diagram at the back of your 1/2" thick manual to confirm whether the switch is wired to a power-on or power-off type solenoid.

The old decompression type pull cables aren't used much on newer engines.

Aaahh! I'd rather spend the time doing something more rewarding! The engine starts and stops on my command. That's good enough for me. Was just curious!

With electrically remote controlled "mechanical" engines, a solenoid puts fuel pump to zero fuel delivery position. Exactly same operation as pulling the stop cable on earlier versions.
With "electronic" engines, stop command does the same thing, ecm uses injector control to achieve it.

Aaahh! I'd rather spend the time doing something more rewarding! The engine starts and stops on my command. That's good enough for me. Was just curious!

Well, Mark, you did ask, and to sum up, you got the correct answer right there, from stone beach...and several others.

Well, Mark, you did ask, and to sum up, you got the correct answer right there, from stone beach...and several others.

You all deserve my thanks!

IMHO your engine is configured the sensible way. When it is running, it doesn't require electricity to keep it running - same as my Yanmars.

It is a nice, neat panel, thanks for the photo ...

A bit off topic here ...... and looking at the markings on the windlass switch, Am I the only one that has a problem relating to these markings and specifically: To my way of thinking the arrow ( direction ) marked on the switch should indicate the direction or payout of the chain. ie. over the bow and away from the boat OR towards the boat. Yet the manufacturers refer to these markings as anchor up OR anchor down. I am saying this because I keep making this mistake whenever I anchor .... LOL

Tx.... FB

Well, Ex, you could always just reverse the wires feeding the switch, but that might tend to confuse others.
Personally, my little brain relates better to the anchor up / anchor down configuration.

Back
Top Bottom