AIS Transponder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gbinterim

Vessel Name
Interim
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36
I currently have a Standard Horizon GX radio with a AIS transceiver and want to add a transponder to the unit. Anyone out there have suggestions or experiences with what's on the market? That is this years project. Thx for all the forth coming input.

You mean your SH radio has an AIS receiver, right?

Vesper XB-6000 class B AIS transceiver (both receive and transmit) is what I just installed to replace my aging AMEC. Compact, good reputation, connects with USB (no serial-USB converter required) to my laptop chartplotter, targets show up on Coastal Explorer. $555

Last edited:
I currently have a Standard Horizon GX radio with a AIS transceiver and want to add a transponder to the unit. Anyone out there have suggestions or experiences with what's on the market? That is this years project. Thx for all the forth coming input.

If you have a "transceiver" as you say, you are already in possession of one.

I think the OP presently has receive - only AIS, which is a feature included in many VHF radios. While the radio itself is a transceiver for purposes of VHF communications, it is not a AIS transceiver since it only receives other boats' information but does not broadcast yours, and for this you need either a Class B or Class A AIS transceiver, not a VHF radio. Class A is typically used by ships and large commercial vessels, where Class B is typically used by members of this site.

I have a Comnav Class B integrated with my Furuno navnet vx2 system which works fine and I'd recommend it. Most marine electronics makers sell these under their brand name but I suspect many are the same unit private labeled.

I suspect you are looking for a transmitter.

At the risk of sounding pedantic (...I am a pedant, after all.) A transponder is a different device than AIS. A transponder sits in a passive mode until it is interrogated by...wait for it...an interrogator, on a discrete frequency and then transmits its encoded data stream ("replies" is the term of art). The two common uses of this technology are L band secondary radar--also known as IFF, and the UHF TACAN/DME navigation system.

AIS by contrast broadcasts continuously on a common VHF freq irrespective of the presence or absence of another station.

'Prof

Last edited:
Standard Horizon has a new VHF AIS transmit/receive unit. GX 6500

I have a Vesper XB8000, works great. Using with Coastal Explorer on laptop, and the Vesper wirelessly sends both AIS and GPS data to laptop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom