Very sad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wifey B: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

That's so very sad to read. Many of us swam among them last time we were there. Beautiful animals. Smart, sweet.

They don't know if something they accidentally ate or if poisoned intentionally at this point.

There's also unsubstantiated rumors that other animals have mysteriously died on land in the same area, particularly some dogs. Whether that's related or not, I have no idea.

Greetings,
Mr. 11. Indeed it WILL be interesting to discover the cause. Thanks for the link. We quite enjoyed our visit with the "swimmers".

They're a highlight of a trip for many. I know one lady who insists every time they go to the Bahamas that they go to see the pigs.

Wifey B: :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

... Many of us swam among them last time we were....

You're a braver person than I am. Hopefully you didn't have anything they wanted to eat. A few years ago we drifted into shallow water and we thought this guy was coming aboard. :eek:

Attachments

• 98.jpg
    98.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 269
Give the pig a slice of bread (or whatever) and further reinforce such behavior. If too aggressive, give him a swat with an oar.

Wifey B: Well, technically guess we waded more than swam, but they swam. ;)

Truly sad. They were the highlight to many Exumas trip. In my early years before the Exhumas were built up they weren't there but we enjoyed anchoring at Big Majors. Some years later they appeared (many stories as to how they arrived). Staniel Cay was in its infancy back then and my day would fly with Hocker at times. Memories!

The latest information from autopsies shows that the deaths were caused by sand impaction, the result of the pigs not having access to fresh water. In Abaco, the island with pigs has a fresh water source provided by donations. That doesn't exist in the Exumas.

Either way, it's sad. But it doesn't appear like anyone used poison to kill the pigs.

Thanks for the info Jeff. Give the pups a kiss.

Yeah, there's swimming pigs in the Abacos now too, on No Name Cay. Kinda cool the first time or two you see them.

Personally, I think an enterprising Bahamian came up with a great idea to get his pigs fattened for free. The biggest, most aggressive pig at No Name last time we were there had a big blue spot spray painted on its forehead. I bet you he was BBQ ribs and bacon within a week or so.

Sad if someone killed some of them.

The latest information from autopsies shows that the deaths were caused by sand impaction, the result of the pigs not having access to fresh water. In Abaco, the island with pigs has a fresh water source provided by donations. That doesn't exist in the Exumas.

Either way, it's sad. But it doesn't appear like anyone used poison to kill the pigs.

That's nice to hear. Thanks for posting it. So, clearly now providing them fresh water is the issue if we want them to remain there. Actually poison would have been a one time thing and now we know they're all in jeopardy. I'm still glad to hear no one was so cruel to have poisoned them though.

Actually poison would have been a one time thing and now we know they're all in jeopardy. I'm still glad to hear no one was so cruel to have poisoned them though.

There has been some rain now and people have been bringing water to the island. This is the dry season there and there needs to be a way to automatically pull water from a well, if not RO process it for the pigs.

If I can make one point about this subject though...

If you were horrified with the idea that someone might have poisoned the pigs but then had bacon for breakfast...you're a hypocrite. Even if poisoned, those pigs in the Exumas lived a much better life than the one who screamed in fear before she was slaughtered for you.

More steak for you, right BandB?

Wifey B: And pork chops. I'm sure I do a million things you would disapprove of, but then I never claimed to have all the answers. I do understand I'm eating animals, animals raised to be food. I wear leather too. I eat ice cream too. And eggs and chicken and fish. Oh, and I eat plants which were once alive. I see a huge difference between the pigs swimming there and someone poisoning them for no reason and growing animals for food. But see, there's one huge difference between you and my hubby and me. I don't call people names because they have different opinions from me. I don't claim to know all the answers. I don't think I'm always right and anyone who disagrees is stupid. :mad:

But see, there's one huge difference between you and my hubby and me. I don't call people names because they have different opinions from me. I don't claim to know all the answers. I don't think I'm always right and anyone who disagrees is stupid. :mad:

Where did that come from?

I didn't call anyone a name.

I don't think people who disagree with me are stupid. I didn't say that either.

If your actions demonstrate hypocracy, you're a hypocrite. It's not name calling. It's definition. To then flaunt it (pork chops) is arrogant.

Greetings,
OK kids, settle down. I had a client at one time who needed a heart valve replaced. Came through the operation just fine. He mentioned that he had the choice of either a SS valve or a pig's valve. He understood the SS valve was noisy and that recipients could hear the tic, tic, tic of it working so he opted for the pig valve. My question to him was "When you eat bacon, do you consider yourself a cannibal?" His answer? No.

Last edited:
RT. My dad had a choice of a heart valve replacement between bovine and pig. He chose pig because he liked eating steak more. He felt he would have a problem eating steak in the future. LOL

If you were horrified with the idea that someone might have poisoned the pigs but then had bacon for breakfast...you're a hypocrite. Even if poisoned, those pigs in the Exumas lived a much better life than the one who screamed in fear before she was slaughtered for you.

Even worse are the people who are against kidnapping, but keep pets in their house against their will when they want to go outside.

Even worse are the people who are against kidnapping, but keep pets in their house against their will when they want to go outside.

Thats too funny!!!

The German Shepherd that is laying by my feet right now aqfter just having munched on a nice snack sure feels oppressed. :) :) :)

We were anchored there for three weeks last year. We lost count of how many tourists we saw riding the pigs. It's kind of weird really. We grew up on a farm and when my brother flew in to visit us, and saw the show on pig beach, he asked, "These are just regular pigs, right? They don't do tricks or have two heads or anything, right?" after watching the hoards of people coming in to see them.

The biggest laugh was a seaplane that landed, taxied to the beach, did the pig thing, and then flew off. We decided that those pigs had to be like ten times more charming than Arnold on Green Acres (ripped off from Pulp Fiction).

I wonder if people would go fishing if fish had vocal chords and could scream as you raised them out of the water. Just adding to the nonsense.

I get it. You're trying to make an equivalence argument against me.

So what you're saying is that my dogs, who would rather be next to my wife and me more than anything else, are being kidnapped?

If we opened the doors, let them out, and closed the doors giving them full access to take off, they'd lay down by the door waiting for it to re-open. Perhaps dogs you've had would have run off?

Compare that against the typical meal, perhaps your typical meal, whereby a chicken, pig, or cow screamed in terror as they were being slaughtered, often under horrific conditions.

And yet, my dog's life, according to you is, "even worse."

Nice try at an argument. You might want to go back to debate school.

I wonder if people would go fishing if fish had vocal chords and could scream as you raised them out of the water. Just adding to the nonsense.

The fish have the last laugh by absorbing mercury to transfer to their slaughterers upon eating. Just adding to the facts.

While I expect your opinions are based on some set of facts?

Would those include being on, touring, or even forbid working on a kill floor of a slaughter house?

If not, might I suggest you check your sources.

PS - Do chickens count?

While I expect your opinions are based on some set of facts?

Would those include being on, touring, or even forbid working on a kill floor of a slaughter house?

If not, might I suggest you check your sources.

PS - Do chickens count?

Chicken is vegetarian

On the same note, I think there would be less domestic pets if dogs and cats had pubic hair.

I get it. You're trying to make an equivalence argument against me.

So what you're saying is that my dogs, who would rather be next to my wife and me more than anything else, are being kidnapped?

If we opened the doors, let them out, and closed the doors giving them full access to take off, they'd lay down by the door waiting for it to re-open. Perhaps dogs you've had would have run off?

Compare that against the typical meal, perhaps your typical meal, whereby a chicken, pig, or cow screamed in terror as they were being slaughtered, often under horrific conditions.

And yet, my dog's life, according to you is, "even worse."

Nice try at an argument. You might want to go back to debate school.

So in your debate class, you got to declare yourself the winner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom