Drying Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
What do you use to dry your boat after washing, morning dew etc., shammy mop, towels WHAT???

Same as my car a leaf blower :) Give it a go it will amaze you the glass windows will be smear free

Natural chamois leather

Attachments

• NATURAL CHAMOIS LEATHER.jpg
    NATURAL CHAMOIS LEATHER.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 402
I love natural chamois but we use synthetic chamois on the boat. It is far easier to live with on a day to day basis if not quite as absorbent as a well seasoned natural chamois. They last forever and if you screw up and they get dirty or smelly you simply wash them and roll them up in their container again.
We have a 10 year old Absorber brand that is still just fine.
At home I use a natural one for our cars.
Bruce

P.S. The leaf blower thing is way over rated in my opinion. I owned a shop that washed every customers car every time it came in for service and we tried everything. The blowers certainly work but a chamois is much faster and does a more complete job...

Attachments

• IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
To dry my teak decks, natural chamois leather mops

Attachments

• MOPS.jpg
    MOPS.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
sunshine and wind

I only dry the strataglass enclosure. I use a silicone water blade and get the corners with a chamois.

I must admit, I have never dried my boat. I squeegee windows when necessary, but I let nature do the work everywhere else.

Dry where required and let the rest take it's natural course. Boat is to stinking big to dry after a bath or rain.

Since the boat has 28 windows (different sizes) I use Karcher windows cleaner which comes with a Cordless Lithium-Ion Handheld Wet Vacuum. It just takes a matter of minutes to clean and dry all.

Attachments

• IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 60
From what age ?

Just before they become rags.

Seriously, I don't dry the boat after a rain or after washing it, but if we're anchored, there will often be heavy dew on the helm console and other parts of the boat we might touch or put things on so I wipe these areas.

There are often dead insects as well as dew to wipe up.

Same as my car a leaf blower :) Give it a go it will amaze you the glass windows will be smear free
Auto detailers and mechanics often use compressed air to blow an area dry. Leaf blower is a bit extreme, but same thing.

Thank you!

I have a hard enough time taking the time to wash it let alone dry it.
I pay someone to wash mine. I like it clean but don't like to wash it!

We get a lot of dew on the windows especially on the Flying Bridge. I dry them with a "shammy type" mop, I saw the fishing charter boat guys using that to do their windows and copied hem

Let's see now...

Dry Boat. Boat Dry. No matter how you say it... still seems weird, unless on the hard!

Oxymoron: Figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction

Not to forget the good old Kiwi Maori blow dry. Just take it for a spin down the freeway. Not an option for a boat I guess but who bothers to dry down a boat after a wash-down...really..? Some do..? :eek:

To dry my teak decks, natural chamois leather mops

Yes, Pilou, I use one of those, but only to dry the decks if I'm going to paint them, and have washed them down first. Otherwise I leave it to nature, except for the windows if they need doing. We have a rubber bladed squeegie like yours to remove streaks.

Yes, Pilou, I use one of those, but only to dry the decks if I'm going to paint them, and have washed them down first. Otherwise I leave it to nature, except for the windows if they need doing. We have a rubber bladed squeegie like yours to remove streaks.

Pierre
Much depends on the shampoo. It's true that using a car / boat shampoo with a biocompatible polymeric wax additive may allow natural drying without stains and in addition regain some lustre.

Back
Top Bottom