Skipper or Captian?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Ya' know... I get called "Captain" a lot on the radio and on the dock. Having never been in the military, never earned the rank, and only being a boater at this level for 300-ish hours and about two years... I don't know how comfortable I am being called "Captain". I'm wondering what the difference the use of "Skipper" would be and should I start correcting people about it?

Hi Gonzo

Maybe these people calling you captain have observed your boat handling skills and believe you warrant the title, so I would just accept it as a compliment and get on with life, to be called a captain is far better than many of the other things I have been called in my life.
biggrin.gif

If you were in a floating bathtub, you could be a captain.* Or skipper.

Too many other things to worry about.* Go boating.* Or trawlering.* Or passagemaking, Or cruising.* Or ????

My wife is the Admiral and she gave me permission to be Captain.
I think they are respecting the operator of the vessel.

While I prefer "Sublime Protector of the Western Empire" for a title, I settle for Skipper. No one ever calls me Captain, *so it must be your boating skills that engender the respect. You're running the boat, so you're the Captain. *Go with the flow.

"I get called "Captain" a lot on the radio and on the dock. Having never been in the military, never earned the rank, and only being a boater at this level for 300-ish hours and about two years... I don't know how comfortable I am being called "Captain".

Well, if you get capt'n after only two years ,just think what they will call you in five years time. You may even get to be the new "Sublime Protector of the Western Empire". Of course you may have to scuttle the existing incumbent!

The term Captain is usually reserved for those that hold a commercial Masters certificate whereas Skipper is usually reserved for amateur boaties

Allan

Agree , Captain is for pro mariners that have earned their living with their skills ,experience and expertise.

My USCG 100 Ton ticket doesn't even come close.

Exactly... And yet, the term is thrown around pretty generally. That's part of my quandary.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here. In NAVY parlence, a Captain is the Commanding Officer of a ship(most captains are not the rank of Captain O-6, usually on cruisers and above they are, but frigates and below are usually a Commander, O-5) but are still called "Captain", whereas a Skipper is the Commanding Officer of an Aviation Squadron. You don't want to mix the two. NEVER call a Boat Captain Skipper, they are slightly uptight. Squadron CO's not so much!

As far a pleasure boating, who cares what they call you as long as they call in time for Happy Hour;)

-- Edited by knotheadcharters on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 04:43:49 AM

Exactly. Either term is applicable because they are somewhat honorary titles in our sphere of boating, but captain in particular, if used in this context, is usually used 'tongue-in-cheek' I suspect. For example, when I wear one of my peaked caps with 'Captain' across the front. Point is not to take it too seriously. At the same time as skipper, you are ultimately responsible for the whole boat and crew's safety, so there is a serious side.

I guess that with all things considered, I'm even uncomfortable being called, "Sir". And along the same lines, I tried to avoid being called an audio "engineer" when I was running shows because I never got an engineering degree. I was a "soundman" or "soundperson" (or A1 or A2). I suppose I am trying, in vain apparently, to have a little more respect for people that actually EARN the right to be called Captain. It just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 06:58:02 AM

Take your pick!

As long as it's not a expletive... who cares!

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• captain crunch.gif
    captain crunch.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 137
  • gilligan02.jpg
    gilligan02.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 135
GonzoF1 wrote:
I guess that with all things considered, I'm even uncomfortable being called, "Sir". And along the same lines, I tried to avoid being called an audio "engineer" when I was running shows because I never got an engineering degree. I was a "soundman" or "soundperson" (or A1 or A2). I suppose I am trying, in vain apparently, to have a little more respect for people that actually EARN the right to be called Captain. It just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 06:58:02 AM
*I think the term Captain in general boating*is used mostly because most of the time neither person knows the other person given name so to be polite they call you Captain.* As you are the person in charge of the vessel at that time.* Sounds better than some other names that could be, and at times deservedly, used.

"Hey Dumb A**"" sounds so crude.* It may be true but crude none the less.

Military considerations have nothing to do w it.

Captain refers to an individual that is a professional hired hand and commands the vessel for the owners.

Skipper refers to an operator of a boat whereas he (or she) commands the vessel but also owns it.

If a Captain went below decks, got into a poker game w the vessel's owner and won the vessel he would instant become the Skipper. Some on this forum perform as Captains while the vast majority are Skippers. And while Captian's command their own vessel they are Skippers.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 08:34:46 AM

Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary says:
<ul>[*]A skipper is (1) the master of a ship, especially the master of a fishing, small trading, or pleasure boat or (2) the captain or first pilot of an airplane.[*]A captain is (1) the commander of a body of troops or of a military establishment, or a commander under a sovereign or general, or an officer in charge of a ship, a commissioned officer in the navy ranking above a commander and below a commodore or a rear admiral, or*a commissioned officer in the army, air force, or marine corps ranking above a first lieutenant and below a major, or a distinguished military leader, or a leader of a side or team, or (2) a dominant figure.[/list]
So, it would seem more appropriate that most of us*should be called a*"skipper" except for those who have delusions of grandeur who would prefer to be called "captain".

Friends*started calling me the Skipper dude years ago when most first got into boating.

Mostly because I have*always had a boat of one form or another. I knew more about the boating thing than others.

The handle kind of stuck.

Where I come from It is also used as a term of respect.

If you have your captian's license you can be called cap't.

On the radio or ashore. I call any boat owner Skipper or Skip for short

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 10:08:01 AM

*I think the term Captain in general boating*is used mostly because most of the time neither person knows the other person given name so to be polite they call you Captain.* As you are the person in charge of the vessel at that time.* Sounds better than some other names that could be, and at times deservedly, used.
"Hey Dumb A**"" sounds so crude.* It may be true but crude none the less.

*I agree. The two titles have nothing to do with the textbook definition other than it may point out to the person running the boat that he/she is IN CHARGE of the vessel. I think*calling someone "captain" is *better than saying "you're the boss" when asking for a decision as in "hey Captain, which line do you want secured first?" etc.

I also freely use the term "Hey A$$ hole"espeically when "asking" someone to control their wake. In that situation they don't have my respect.

I have friends with boats and for us- usually Cap'n is the term we use. It might be Cap'n Kirk, Cap'n Dave, etc.
Captain is very proper and deserving of someone who has earned the title. Cap'n- to me- is a laid back way to address others with a boat.

So... There seems to be no consensus. Just my own hangup them. Dratt. ;-)

Yep, so if someone calls you Cap'n, captain, skip or skipper, just suck it up, smile, and enjoy the warm fuzzies while it lasts, as they'll probably call you something else before the day is done. Especially if it's the 2IC/SO/aka wife.

In the Merchant Navy the No 1 is the Master and usually holds a Master's certificate of competency for the size of vessel he commands.
The term Captain is used but not in an official sense.
The Rank of captain is a commissioned rank in the military.
On a pleasure boat you most likely be refered to as the skipper as in skipper of the good ship minnow.
Me I am just the owner/operator of my own pleasure vessel. Professionally I am the Chief Eng but I have to answer to me as the skipper, some days it is bloody difficult especially when you have just cooked the engine.

I like the sound of "master and commander."

markpierce wrote:
I like the sound of "master and commander."
*Mark, have John or Doug put that under your avatar.* Very cool.

AllanY wrote:
The term Captain is usually reserved for those that hold a commercial Masters certificate whereas Skipper is usually reserved for amateur boaties

Allan

Not around here.* Contact a marina on the VHF, and you will be addressed as "Captain".

I am "Captain Ron".*
smile.gif

Ok, well, if we're going to quote actual qualifications, I am officially a certified Coastal Yachtmaster, from the Marine Division of the NZ Ministry of Transport, so yeah...."yachtmaster" perhaps with an added, 'Sir', would be good......
(dream on, eh?)

Peter B wrote:
Ok, well, if we're going to quote actual qualifications, I am officially a certified Coastal Yachtmaster, from the Marine Division of the NZ Ministry of Transport, so yeah...."yachtmaster" perhaps with an added, 'Sir', would be good......
(dream on, eh?)
Sir Peter Bradley, Yachtmaster (Coastal), sort of rolls off the tongue evoking centuries of Anglo Saxon nautical prowess.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Thursday 9th of June 2011 04:25:54 PM

Also seems like it is a marketing ploy used by dock folks looking to make you feel good enough to be generous with purchases or tips. Guess it beats " Hey Bub". Personally, I don't attach much significance to it.

Signature adjusted accordingly :-D

Back
Top Bottom