View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
The 350/390 is the previous "generation" to the 40/400. As you noted there were a number of design changes-most of which I would categorize as improvements.

When comparing two similar boats (or planes or cars or..) it has been my experience that, all other things being equal, the newer example is preferred. Manufacturers do make changes over time that improve their product and remedy perceived shortcomings.

Are the changes in this case worth the money to you? That has to be your call.

I note you leave out the 34T from your list, I assume because it lacks a 2nd stateroom. If you can live with a single stateroom the 34T provides many of the advantages of the 40/400 for less money. And even though it is a "34" it is only about 1-2 feet shorter overall than a 40/400.
Danderer,

Hadn't thought much about the 34. I just googled a few adds to try to get some specs and here's what I've found, please correct me if I'm missing something:

Boats are very similar, get about the same mileage, excepting the Cummins single which does much better.

The 34 is 4000# lighter, has 2 back doors vs. 3, but fluids are a lot different:

Fresh Water Tanks: 70 Gal vs. 130 gal
Fuel Tanks: 250 Gal vs. 300 gal
Holding Tanks: 34 Gal vs. 47 gal

I'd think the water and fuel quantity in the 40 a fairly big advantage.

The second stateroom is not a priority for me, but storage space is.

Is the back cockpit area the same size, as well as the aft flybridge area? Outside space is a premium for me, have toys to store: kayak, windsurfer, bikes, etc....

And, looks like the 34 doesn't have the flybridge overhang, good for kayaks, correct?

Also, do all the 34s have a sunken galley? I'd much prefer the galley on same level, and really like the layout of the 40 with the galley right behind the lower helm. Like it in the middle of things as it's a focal point and the cook wants to be part of the action.

Overall, I'd prefer a smaller boat, but seems like a few of the things I like would be missing with the 34 and not a huge price or operating difference. Does this sound correct?