Online Boating Courses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Has anyone taken any online boating courses that they would recommend? Was thinking about taking an online course for overall boating safety, navigation, etc.

Thanks,
Mike

I do not have any experience with on-line courses. However, I know the US Power Squadron has beaucoup course (I believe some are on line) offerings. I've found the USPS "live" courses I've taken to be high quality and to the point. There has to be an active chapter in the Bay Area (probably several) that could point you in the right direction.

I do not have any experience with on-line courses. However, I know the US Power Squadron has beaucoup course (I believe some are on line) offerings. I've found the USPS "live" courses I've taken to be high quality and to the point. There has to be an active chapter in the Bay Area (probably several) that could point you in the right direction.
+1 for USPS courses.
I consider online similar to reading a book vs live where you get the interaction. If available I would opt for the live.
Even if you can't attend all live sessions you can self study from the material and interact during a later session.
Some Squadrons are now offering some on the water courses which add obvious benefits.

I took the online course/test for the Washington Boater Safety card. It was much more comprehensive than I expected. It took about 3 hours to get through it, but you don't have to do it at a single sitting. It is a good refresher.

I took the online course/test for the Washington Boater Safety card. It was much more comprehensive than I expected. It took about 3 hours to get through it, but you don't have to do it at a single sitting. It is a good refresher.

I agree. It is pretty basic but a good basic course for water safety and Colregs. It is also available for free. That makes it a great place to start even if you are from Washington State.

Here is a link to the BoatUS version of the Washington course. http://www.boatus.org/courses/

Back
Top Bottom