View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #10
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
From all the tests we all know the Supreme holds extremly well if not choked w weed. Any sign of that? You were in an area w lots of sun and in shallow water and the water may be relatively clear (I do'nt know). A good recipie for lots of bottom growth.

I agree w Mako that the 45# anchor is'nt too small. With a lesser performing anchor, possibly so but not the Supreme.

The Manson should'nt have cared how you layed the anchor down. With one rather remote posibility. Your chain comming down on top of the anchor could wrap itself around the anchor such that it could have been pulled sideways or backward in a tangled up mass of chain and anchor. 100' of chain out on top of an anchor only 12' down meant you could have dropped about 75' of chain on the anchor.
I take care to avoid that scenario by dropping the anchor till it is on the bottom stopping and having Chris start backing and then paying out rode at a rate approximating the moving boat over the bottom. Paying out the rode in a quite straight line and don't start taking up slack until the planned length of rode is out. This way I ideally arrange the rode on the bottom as if there was no water and I was walking around on the bottom.

You made no mention of the bottom type and very likely did'nt know. Any anchor has a bottom or several bottoms that it will not perform well on. I know of no problematic bottom type for the Supreme except thick weed or salad (as Steve on the boat Panope) likes to describe the weed in his area. From the pics it looks a bit like tumbleweeds and kelp together so "salad" is the perfect word.
One more possible problematic bottom would be mud. Chesapeke Bay-like mud that is very uncommon. If you review the Chesapke Bay mud test by Fortress Anchors you will see the only anchor that could have held your boat in a gale in that rare slimy type of mud would be a Fortress anchor. The favorite anchor at that time was the Rocna. Amazingly the Rocna was about the worst performing anchor in the test. The Supreme did'nt do very well either I will add. And one should always keep in mind that the bottom is the most important and uncontrolable part of the anchoring bag of variables.

If you did'nt set hard the wind should have done that job .. possibly even better that a skipper as then the setting takes place slowly (the best way to set an anchor)

As you can see there are quite a few waterloos you could have fallen into. So if I were you I'd review your technique ... polish your skills if I may say so. Blaming the anchor or it's size is not the most probable route to this dragging to never happen again. The excellent holding capabilities of the Supreme is very well documented. It should be capable of holding a 5,000lb load if set well on a good bottom.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote