The Zumwalt at home base.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Out on the water Saturday for a predicted log race in the rain and took a photo of the Zumwalt at 32nd Street Naval Base.

Attachments

• P1010004 (1).jpg
    P1010004 (1).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 191
Our new vessel that fires a 155mm round at a cost of $800,000 each. DOJ didn't think this one through.

Did she get to the dock under her own power? :D

That light navy grey really does blend in visually in overcast cloudy conditions. Would probably stick out like a light in the sun. And I know this is about radar visability not eye ball visability. Just say'in.

More like $275,000 per guided projectile where the range and accuracy makes it cost effective and the bad guys lose and we win.

Thanks for the photo, ancora. Missed my chance to get aboard when she stopped here at N.S. Mayport, but glad to see the Zoomer at her new home port, and glad the U.S. Navy keeps pushing the technological envelope.

They suffer from broken gears.

Is this a reliable technology? I just think these are disasters so far.
The U.S. Navy’s Expensive New Warships Are Breaking Down at Sea - The Daily Beast

No doubt the Navy is embarrassed by the DDG-1000 program's stumbles, but is it not ever thus with innovative technologies? I'm not sure how easily avoidable those troubles ought to have been, but I am sure there will be more troubles, and that the Navy will work through and learn from them.

That's the price of innovation, and innovation is essential to a Navy that is out on the cutting edge, which I think the United States must maintain.

If you want to be at the head of the pack experiencing some failures is going to be an obvious event unles one gets lucky. I'm glad our Navy is having experiences like this because if it wer'nt we would'nt be at the head of the pack.

Here's a picture of the Zumwalt on her way home taken the day after she was commissioned in Baltimore, She passed within 200 yards of us approaching the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. We were idling just outside of the marked channel. The Coasties paid us a visit.Stearn Approach2.jpg

Stearn Approach.jpg

Rib1.jpg

RibHelo.jpg

RibApproach.jpg

They were out today. Saw them on radar, but when I tried to take a photo; nothing... Hmm.

Back
Top Bottom