Windscreen washers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
"Dragon Lady"
Vessel Make
DeFever 41
I intend to instal screen-washers above my lower helm windscreens because dried salt-spray makes for poor visibility; especially when heading into the sun - and there's lots of that here.

Fresh water from the boat's pressure system would feed a small header and "jets" made of 1/8" brass tubing located above the windscreens. I have not yet worked out how to turn the flow of water on and off. A*valve by the helm, a push button triggering a solenoid valve??

Do you have screen-washers on your boat and if so how do they work. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so suggestions please.

* Go to a junk yard or ebay and find a used auto unit, plumb it, wire it and you are good to go.

Shoalwaters wrote:
I intend to instal screen-washers above my lower helm windscreens because dried salt-spray makes for poor visibility; especially when heading into the sun - and there's lots of that here.

Fresh water from the boat's pressure system would feed a small header and "jets" made of 1/8" brass tubing located above the windscreens. I have not yet worked out how to turn the flow of water on and off. A*valve by the helm, a push button triggering a solenoid valve??

Do you have screen-washers on your boat and if so how do they work. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so suggestions please.
Shoalwaters,

Here is a picture of how Mainship does it.* The blue line is a cold water line off of the pressurized fresh water system.* The solenoid is operated by a switch on the lower helm.* The black tubing is connected to three simple tubes that are directed at the windshields.* Simple and works flawlessly.* If you want the solenoid part number I may be able to dig it up for you.

download.spark

JT and Rob, thanks for the input, but ,as stated, I want to use the boat's pressure water system. That gives me a 200 gallon screenwash reservoir!

JD, That little solenoid valve looks like it would do the trick. Manufacturer and part number if you can find them please.

Mike

Mike,

I have sent an email to the parts guy at Mainship and it will take him a day or two to return the answer but he will send it to me and I will get it to you.

Shoalwaters wrote:
JT and Rob, thanks for the input, but ,as stated, I want to use the boat's pressure water system. That gives me a 200 gallon screenwash reservoir!

JD, That little solenoid valve looks like it would do the trick. Manufacturer and part number if you can find them please.

Mike
*I believe that part is a Hotpoint ice maker water control valve.. I just worked on our icerette ice maker last weekend and I recognize the valve... about $ 18.00. They may be only AC but who cares.. the inverter will take care of it.

HOLLYWOOD

"They may be only AC but who cares.. the inverter will take care of it."

You should be able to find one at 12 volts easy enough. I'm sure the identical valve is made in 12 volts.

Mike,

Here you go.* 12Volt

download.spark

I think I saw a photo of Carquinez Coot's(?) windscreen with screenwash hoses attached to the wiper-arms. That sounds like it could work for me too. Can't find the pic now though. Anyone?

-- Edited by Shoalwaters on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 02:45:50 PM

Here is the manual washer valve on our boat ( red arrow )* No electric and very simple.

JohnP

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 97
Silly me.* I searched for an hour fruitlessly*looking for the windscreen fluid container.* Finally dug up the boat's schematics and found the water is taken directly from the pressurizd fresh water system.

JD, did Mainship do that sloppy*wiring too?

Shoalwaters wrote:
I think I saw a photo of Carquinez Coot's(?) windscreen with screenwash hoses attached to the wiper-arms. That sounds like it could work for me too. Can't find the pic now though. Anyone?
*Here it is.* The hoses run down the three wiper arms to a nozel.* One shown here.

img_54020_0_27a6e5df114dcfded2b55a6d99f68fcf.jpg

My*washer control is*in the subpanel in the lower-left part of the panel.* The third to the right switch on the lowest row controls the washer, and the three switches in the middle control the three wipers.

img_54021_0_77ea7782460a514c0920ab4a069ef1b7.jpg

Shoalwaters wrote:
******** I have them and they are fed from the fresh water tank. When you push the rocker switch for windshield wash, all three fire at once. You let them drain down the windshield(s) and then you turn the wipers on. Works great and they are 12V. No hoses on the wipers are needed.

The water fittings are just to the right of the wiper actuator and are centered on each windshield. (3).

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 04:13:52 PM

Attachments

• windshield.jpg
    windshield.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 100
  • panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 98
markpierce wrote:
Silly me.* I searched for an hour fruitlessly*looking for the windscreen fluid container.* Finally dug up the boat's schematics and found the water is taken directly from the pressurizd fresh water system.

JD, did Mainship do that sloppy*wiring too?
*The Mainship I have has them fed by one solenoid that is activated by pushing the*number one wiper switch past center once it is "on" and holding it there, it returns to the normal "on" position when released.* So the wiper in front of the helm has to be on but*the other two do not.* And yes they are fed from the freshwater tank so you must have that system up and running.* Mainship used the same system as Seahorses Halverson.* Three nozzles up at the top of the wiper arm.

-- Edited by JD on Wednesday 29th of June 2011 04:32:08 PM

I used Spraying Systems nozzles of about .8 gpm in a 45 degree fan mist, one over each of 5 windows in the pilot house. A simple solenoid valve from Grainger with a console mounted swith completed the equipment. I apply Rainex to the windows, so that when I mist the windows, the fresh water clears off salt quickly providing excellent visibility. I would not bother with wipers based on my experience with this system.

http://spray.com/products/general_purpose.asp

-- Edited by Delfin on Thursday 30th of June 2011 09:23:00 PM

markpierce wrote:
My*washer control is*in the subpanel in the lower-left part of the panel.* The third to the right switch on the lowest row controls the washer, and the three switches in the middle control the three wipers.

img_56357_0_77ea7782460a514c0920ab4a069ef1b7.jpg

*Hi Mark.

does the nozzle also spray the upper part of the window?

Damn nice panel, Mark! Well thought out.

How many hours so far?

markpierce wrote:
*Here it is.* The hoses run down the three wiper arms to a nozel.* One shown here.

img_57526_0_27a6e5df114dcfded2b55a6d99f68fcf.jpg

Hi Mark, I like your system but is it capable to spray the upper part of the window as all when the nozzle is placed half way dowh the wiper?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom