I boarded THEM !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surveyor1

Veteran Member
So I'm on my sundeck at Friday Harbor and watched the CG vessel Swordfish dock nearby. It seemed more like a training drill for rookies as it took forever for them to secure it to the dock.

Anyway, later that evening, after most of the kids got their civies on and went to town I noticed the step ladder was unattended and that seemed a little strange to me. So I marched (literally) over and up that ladder. There was a kid swabbing the deck with his back to me and he turned and said "gee, sir, I don't think were allowed to have civilians on the boat now." I asked if this vessel was under command at which point a couple others appeared, one of which introduced himself as the captain. I introduced myself as a former seargent with Charlie Battery, 2nd of the 319th Artillery Battalion, 101st Airborne Division, Vietnam. He promptly thanked me for my service and I for his.

And then I let him have it.

I asked if it was s.o.p to allow anyone to board the vessel at random. Mind you I could have easily proceeded further into the vessel and gotten into who knows what. The skipper was obviously embarrassed and gave the lax deckhand a sideways look. I didn't pursue the matter any further, climbed down the ladder, gave them a smart salute and walked off.

They departed shortly thereafter.

-- Edited by surveyor1 on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 08:50:15 PM

I hate to laugh, but I'd bet that's an experience that none of them will forget. And to have a guy from the 101st dress you down about something like that......well, I'd be speechless and I guess they must have been too. What you didn't hear when you were walking back down the dock was "Cheesh, he must have been with Artillary", LOL.

I make a point of being and staying on their good side, not to up set them. We have Everett City policy, Snohoimish County Police, Fish and Game, Navy Police*and Coast Guard and they talk to each other. so*I would not want to to up set any of them.*

If I did, I would make sure everything in order and prepare to be boarded in the near future as pay back is a bitch!*****

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 3rd of June 2011 09:57:04 AM

Phil Fill wrote:I make a point of being and staying on their good side, not to up set them. We have Everett City policy, Snohoimish County Police, Fish and Game, Navy Police*and Coast Guard and they talk to each other. so*I would not want to to up set any of them.*
If I did, I would make sure everything in order and prepare to be boarded in the near future as pay back is a bitch!****

*What he just said.

BTW did you ever stop to think.* First off what you did could have gotten you shot or at least arrested and they would have been in the right.*There is no rule that they must maintain a watch but there are rules as to you being on their ship. *Second what you did 45 years ago doesn't mean squat and doesn't give you the right to dress anybody down.* You might want to rethink that action Sergeant.* Was there alcohol involved by any chance.

Better run a tight ship there mate, they may want to get even.* I know if I was that Chief I might.* No let me correct that statement.* If I were that Chief I would get even and smile while I was doing it by the book of course.

-- Edited by JD on Friday 3rd of June 2011 12:47:50 PM

Personally I treat the USCG and the Auxilliary with the utmost respect. It is comforting to know that they are there if*I ever need them.

You were stopped by the kid on deck before you could really get into any mischief.**If you were so inclined.

I would not have boarded but called from the dock and respectfully asked of there SOP regarding ships security. Or perhaps acted as an Avant Guard. In case the person designated to that positition was called to another duty station.

SD

skipperdude wrote:
Personally I treat the USCG and the Auxilliary with the utmost respect. It is comforting to know that they are there if*I ever need them.

You were stopped by the kid on deck before you could really get into any mischief.**If you were so inclined.

I would not have boarded but called from the dock and respectfully asked of there SOP regarding ships security. Or perhaps acted as an Avant Guard. In case the person designated to that positition was called to another duty station.

SD

*Same here. It is more then a relief to see the Coast Guard and Navy present as the ships I am on sail into the ports we go to in the Middle East. I served in the Coast Guard Auxiliary for four years, and whereas it is not the same as the regulars, it does give you a great scope of what they do. I like having them on my side and being in their good graces.

"Personally I treat the USCG and the Auxilliary with the utmost respect"

Mee too. I have been boarded two times by the coast guard, once for an inspection, once because I was in trouble, *and was stopped once and told to*"face my vessel in the opposite direction until the sub passed by".

All times they have been very courteous and respectfull.

BTW did you ever stop to think. First off what you did could have gotten you shot or at least arrested and they would have been in the right. There is no rule that they must maintain a watch but there are rules as to you being on their ship.

I hope you realize the REVERSE also holds true , any unannounced boarding by anyone would be considered a HOME INVASION, and may be repulsed by lethal force.

FF wrote:
BTW did you ever stop to think. First off what you did could have gotten you shot or at least arrested and they would have been in the right. There is no rule that they must maintain a watch but there are rules as to you being on their ship.

I hope you realize the REVERSE also holds true , any unannounced boarding by anyone would be considered a HOME INVASION, and may be repulsed by lethal force.
*I have NEVER*seen nor heard of*them boarding a boat unannounced.*But how would you fair in that instance even if they did.* You in your T shirt, calling them "Hooligans Navy"*and hand gun and four of them in combat vests and their hand guns.* By my count you might have 13 rounds before a reload, if it ever got to that and they have 52 rounds.**Four to one odds only wins on the TV or in*movies.*

Let them board and get a lawyer the next day is a much smarter move in my book.

-- Edited by millennium on Saturday 4th of June 2011 05:12:40 PM

-- Edited by millennium on Saturday 4th of June 2011 05:13:54 PM

I've always asked for*permission first before boarding anyone's boat or entering someone's home, and don't intend to change that aspect of my behaviors.

I would consider yourself lucky to be alive or not in prison.

lucky the kid didn't hit you with the deck swab.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom