30' steel hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winty

Vessel Make
'81 CHB34

Attachments

• 6086714_20170130085620718_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6086714_20170130085620718_1_XLARGE.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 191
Are there any stability test results? Is the center of gravity low. Probably in a 30 foot boat the boat will deal with conditions beyond what the crew would tolerate.

May trip on her huge chine .. broach ect.

Kinda looks a bit like a GH. What's their record?

That deep, sharp workboat chine looks like it would dig in and give her high initial stability. In a sea, I'd expect her to be a snappy roller.

That arrangement of welded steel bars beneath the stern cutaway is interesting and unfamiliar to me. It's not exactly a "cage." Is it to protect the running gear from bigger floating / partly submerged debris, like logs? It doesn't seem necessary to ensure level grounding, but someone went to a lot of trouble (and added a lot of submerged mass) to put it there.

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/res...8294_1_XLARGE.jpg&w=924&h=693&t=1485795409000

I agree with eyshulman and Sailor of Fortune - she's not meant for much outside the jetties.

That looks like a damn nice little boat. There's a lot to like in that well equipped small package.

"she's not meant for much outside the jetties."

Few boats are.

he behaves like a steel pontoon. At the beginning she is very stabili and crashes or sinking when bulwark gets wet. referred to in inland waters where the wave is small. pretty typical harbor tug hull shape Europa.

I like look very nice...

Looks sleeker under way than I would have figured based on hullshape.

I like it! But I can't make any educated comments on the hard chine/roll issue.

Coastal Cruiser, it will go anywhere a Bayliner or Mainship will go. I would worry more about construction quality and anti-corrosion efforts than seaworthiness.

For once I'm speechless Tad.

But I see your point and you're right.

Last edited:
For once I'm speechless Tad.

But I see your point and you're right.

Eric, I agree, Having been on a similar hull being a small 50' river tug used locally and experiencing beam seas of 4-5 feet, the thought of being thrown out the pilot house (two deck tug configuration) with the snap rolling motion, had me hanging on for dear life. The owner/operator had provided himself with a seat belt on a fixed command station. Operates well enough as the boat has been operating in the area for the 15 years plus.

Al-Ketchikan

I just reviewed the Yacht world add and agree with add that the boat could make a reasonable inside passage cruiser if care is taken in the few open water jumps. same goes for most other boats used for the PNW. Agree that any steel boat of age needs careful evaluation of build quality and corrosion issues maybe slightly more so than other builds. If all is well this could make a inexpensive nice pocket cruiser.

Coastal Cruiser, it will go anywhere a Bayliner or Mainship will go. I would worry more about construction quality and anti-corrosion efforts than seaworthiness.

I agreed w this mostly out of respect for Tad. But I still have my doubts.

Mainship has made one boat I am at least very suspect of in this scenario and don't know enough about the others to comment. But I'd rather be in any Bayliner that I've ever seen than this boat in big seas especially beam and stern seas. I think the lack of directional stability and chine tripping potential would eat this homebuilt somehow in beam seas, stern seas or broaching or whatever. Re head seas construction is probably the biggest issue providing the crew could stand the motion.

Al
HaHa I thought about the seat belt. More like a restraining strap to keep me from falling off the seat into the center of the boat and cracking my scull. Have'nt seen anything like that for a long time to make me think about it.

Tad's great. He's a NA w lots of experience. But I spoke too soon and think I committed to something I really do'nt belive. So I needed to post what I really do believe.

If the vessel was pictured in the water we'd all be oohing and ahhing. All based upon pictures. As Tad notes, a bright light in the bilge is the test for this vessel.

Sunchaser,
Did you look at the YW link?
Yup she looks pretty good in the pics in the water and even underway.
Built by a marine engineer. More likely to be structurally sound.
Rather nice little boat I'd say paraphrasing Craig I spoze.
I'm a little more convinced Tad is right now but not sure why because nothing's changed. Chine tripping could be mostly for light and perhaps small boats. I once had a "racing runabout" 11' or so. Had a "non tripping chine". A double chine like a Sampan. Like Phill Bolger's DeAblo.

Sunchaser,
Did you look at the YW link? Yup she looks pretty good in the pics in the water and even underway..

Eric, that is precisely my point. Questions from us non NA types have arisen due to its out of the water picture. In the water it looks pretty interesting.

Inshore there is seldom enough fetch for the waves to be anything BUT short and steep, and give a harsh snap roll ride,even with a rounded bottom .

Offshore after 1/2 day of blowing the ride becomes far easier to live with , although the waves might be bigger.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom