Removal of OE water heater burried in wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alfamike

Ok - TF buddies that are Kadey-Krogen 42 owners, crew or Tec's, how do I get this OE item out with out deconstruction & cutting up of half the port side of the boat. :banghead:

1982 Kadey-Krogen 42 with the single head option lay out.

On port side middle of the boat where you go down into the living quarters of the boat by the stairs, Behind the standard combo single unit Washer/Dryer & to the rear of the port side head is what looks like a built in Original Equipment hot water heater that looks like it was installed before they built the boat walls around it.

It apparently is the OE water heater & that unit died many years ago & has been bypassed, but still sits in there. Looks like 10 or 15 gall size.

How do I get this out of there - is there an easy way or a trick ?

Looks like it is impossible to get out with out major surgery ?

They left it in there & it's NOT very accessible.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Mike

From your description, isn't it accessible if you remove the washer / dryer first? Maybe some pictures might give us a better idea.

Ted

hidden water heater

I already figured on removing the washer / dryer for access.

However it looks like that will not be even close to allowing it to be removed.

It is square & I see no way to get it out.

Obviously, I will try & dig in there & see, but from looking in through a cabinet door in head & looking in behind the W/D - I see no way to get it out.

So any suggestions.

M.

If it`s going to the dump, can you get enough access to cut it up in place and remove the bits?

Removal

Yes, I it is going to the dump.

your suggestion is probably the only way I can figure to remove it, but that will be messy. Plus very hard to get to & limited access to only small part of it.

Not sure what to use. -- maybe a saws all, -- or cut off wheel ? -- or ? -- but that may be the only way to get it out.

I was hoping some other owner had experience with this & found a short cut.

thanks.

M.

I already figured on removing the washer / dryer for access.

However it looks like that will not be even close to allowing it to be removed.

It is square & I see no way to get it out.

Obviously, I will try & dig in there & see, but from looking in through a cabinet door in head & looking in behind the W/D - I see no way to get it out.

So any suggestions.

M.

I'm with RTF. Just leave the damn thing there. Disguise it as a nuclear reactor if you like, and kid people who ask. But it's not worth the hassle and angst, not to mention the possibility of doing mischief to other things in trying to remove - what - a square thing so inaccessible you couldn't really use the space for anything else. You say they bypassed it, so presumably you have another newer tank somewhere else, and the PO already went through all this.

If you're not going to replace it and have no use for the space, you can just leave it alone and save some work. The extra weight won't make much of a difference on your boat.

If you really want it gone, I'm sure there's a way but without seeing the actual boat, I can't tell you how. Sometimes, you have to remove cabinets or other equipment to get at things. Look around for screws on the inside of cabinets or panels. Ask some other people you know to look as well.

Back
Top Bottom