Garmin map update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I have a Garmin 1040xs plotter that came with the BlueChart g2 map pre installed. The unit does not have an SD card in the slots.

The map is about two years old, and from what I read I get one free update? How do I go about updating the map on this unit? It's connected to wifi but I can't find any instructions in my manual.

Oh yeah. The phone! [emoji23]

I hate to have to say this but I have found Garmin tech support a little disappointing. Granted, I've been using email, not the telephone because of long wait times, but it appears the support people are just reading off a list of pre written responses and don't really know and understand the products. I would still try though.

You might find an electronics guy at West Marine who can answer your question. Or you might not. I asked pretty much the same question the other day (for a different model plotter) and they told me the "expert" wasn't in but gave me his card. I haven't been back yet.

I hate to have to say this but I have found Garmin tech support a little disappointing. Granted, I've been using email, not the telephone because of long wait times, but it appears the support people are just reading off a list of pre written responses and don't really know and understand the products. I would still try though.
Using the phone (800)800-1020, I've had exactly the opposite - really good support over the last 20 years or so, with both boat and car GPS. One advantage of the phone is that by live interaction the support folks can make sure they understand the issue correctly, and that you understand it correctly too.

I believe, although not sure, that you must use a memory card for an update. I'm not aware of an alternative. Just pick up a card anywhere and then proceed. Garmin 32 GB memory cards at Walmart for $14.95.

Here are the download instructions:

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/vftBOR0OTd4VvFFIW4oEj6

Here is the manual, if you don't have one.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP_800_1000_OM_EN.pdf

"The maps will now be downloaded to the SD card. Once the maps have been downloaded, remove the SD card and insert it into the GPS device for use."

This would seem to indicate that the SD card with the maps would need to remain in the plotter, that the device itself cannot be updated with new maps.

I have two networked (5208) plotters and my question is, can both plotters share the map on the SD card or do I have to physically move it from one plotter to the other (or buy two map updates).

BTW: The map cards can also be bought from many vendors without a download but the difficulty is knowing what the latest version is.

"The maps will now be downloaded to the SD card. Once the maps have been downloaded, remove the SD card and insert it into the GPS device for use."

This would seem to indicate that the SD card with the maps would need to remain in the plotter, that the device itself cannot be updated with new maps.

I have two networked (5208) plotters and my question is, can both plotters share the map on the SD card or do I have to physically move it from one plotter to the other (or buy two map updates).

BTW: The map cards can also be bought from many vendors without a download but the difficulty is knowing what the latest version is.

Your 5208's have preloaded internal BlueChart G2 maps of the U.S. coast. They can only be updated via SD card, either prepared by you via download from Garmin, or via Update SD card(s) purchased from Garmin. These updates are tied to each unit's ID, and must be purchased for each machine. Once the update is successfully applied, the card is removed. They do not share updated maps across your network. The internal maps provide full mapping capabilities without external BlueChart G2 Vision cards or Update cards.

Garmin provides downloadable firmware updates that are also applied via SD card. These can be shared among your devices.

The BlueChart G2 Vision cards are fully portable and provide enhanced charting on the unit they are plugged in to. Again, this is not shared across your network. When removed, the unit reverts to the preloaded internal BlueChart g2 maps at whatever update version is applied.

When buying a card, simply ask the seller for the version. It is clearly marked on the packaging. I've had good luck on eBay, but YMMV. :thumb:

Your 5208's have preloaded internal BlueChart G2 maps of the U.S. coast. They can only be updated via SD card, either prepared by you via download from Garmin, or via Update SD card(s) purchased from Garmin. These updates are tied to each unit's ID, and must be purchased for each machine. Once the update is successfully applied, the card is removed. They do not share updated maps across your network. The internal maps provide full mapping capabilities without external BlueChart G2 Vision cards or Update cards.

Garmin provides downloadable firmware updates that are also applied via SD card. These can be shared among your devices.

The BlueChart G2 Vision cards are fully portable and provide enhanced charting on the unit they are plugged in to. Again, this is not shared across your network. When removed, the unit reverts to the preloaded internal BlueChart g2 maps at whatever update version is applied.

When buying a card, simply ask the seller for the version. It is clearly marked on the packaging. I've had good luck on eBay, but YMMV. :thumb:

Thanks for the clarification. :thumb:

Im surprised

You might find an electronics guy at West Marine who can answer your question. Or you might not. I asked pretty much the same question the other day (for a different model plotter) and they told me the "expert" wasn't in but gave me his card. I haven't been back yet.

I just installed two Garmin chart plotters. I needed to call customer support about for times. Never waited more than minutes. Always git right answer. I NEVER got through to raymarine.

Tie mileage may vary.

I had serious issues with Garmin in Sydney Australia. Essentially bad pre-purchase advice, that the 2 plotter/sounder units could do something they could not. Contacted Garmin USA. Result: Garmin Sydney instantly keen to find a fix.
Garmin USA :thumb:. Sydney, not so much.

I have three 7212s. I have to put the SD card in the plotter that I want to use. For some reason the other plotters won't read it across the metwork.

But, no big deal really.

I have three 7212s. I have to put the SD card in the plotter that I want to use. For some reason the other plotters won't read it across the metwork.

But, no big deal really.

That seems to contradict LarryM's post.

I don't really want to have to carry the card back and forth. Too much chance of losing it or damaging it or the contacts in the plotter. Also, I would rather have the maps loaded into the plotter's memory so the slots are free for cards with routes on them.

The cards are copy protected, I understand that. Garmin understandably doesn't wand a bunch of guys chipping in to buy one card and then just make copies for each individual.

Back
Top Bottom