Secondary fuel filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlmathis

Hello, I've just joined this group and may be re-inventing a topic, but I have acquired a Mainship 34 ('78)* with a Perkins engine.* I'm learning my way around it.* I am changing the secondary fuel filters and note that there are 3 gaskets and 2 O rings supplied in the new filter box.* I figured out the O rings and 2 gaskets.* One gasket on the bottom bowl, one on the top of the element.* Does the 3rd go inside the housing?

Thanks in advance

JLMathis

I only remember 2 gaskets with my replacement filters. I have the 4.236. How many gaskets were installed with the filter on the engine? Maybe you got an extra???

You might not need all of them for your specific setup. Keep the extra as it might come in handy at some point.

jlmathis wrote:

Hello, I've just joined this group and may be re-inventing a topic, but I have acquired a Mainship 34 ('78)* with a Perkins engine.* I'm learning my way around it.* I am changing the secondary fuel filters and note that there are 3 gaskets and 2 O rings supplied in the new filter box.* I figured out the O rings and 2 gaskets.* One gasket on the bottom bowl, one on the top of the element.* Does the 3rd go inside the housing?

Thanks in advance

JLMathis

Jeffrey,
You should have a CAV fuel filter on your Perkins which is used in many applications. Some older Ford tractors are one application- and as I recall- they sometimes had the bottom housing, a gasket, another housing above it, a gasket, and then the filter sat on this and the final rubber gasket which tucks into the groove in the top housing. I hope this makes some sense. So it is a spare. As you mentioned, one o ring slips over the bolt and the other fits on the bottom of the top housing.

Back
Top Bottom