Vacuum Sealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwidman

Guru
If you have a vacuum sealer at home or on your boat, you already know how good they are for sealing food to be frozen.

What you may not have thought of is how they can be used to seal spare parts for your boat against moisture and other damage. Things like spare pumps, motors, electronics, etc.

I did that with my spare Xantrex inverter. It's also helpful with long term storage dry food like nuts, beans and dog kibble. Now there are zipper bags with an open end for the vacuum seal. They allow sealed long term storage and zippered access after the first opening.

I've just about worn out my first Foodsaver. When it finally gives up the ghost, I'll run right out and buy another.

They are great for other things you want to keep dry, like ditch bag supplies, first aid supplies, etc., etc.

Just be aware that a strong vacuum may damage some electronics, primarily capacitors.

Spare impellers too, they degrade sitting about.

I did that with my spare Xantrex inverter. It's also helpful with long term storage dry food like nuts, beans and dog kibble. Now there are zipper bags with an open end for the vacuum seal. They allow sealed long term storage and zippered access after the first opening.

I've just about worn out my first Foodsaver. When it finally gives up the ghost, I'll run right out and buy another.

I have not had good results with the vacuum cleaner zippered bags. I had a spare macerator pump stored in one (in the box) and when I opened the bag, there was water in it and the box was wet and ruined. That's when the other bags came to mind.

If you're going to use a vacuum sealer for items other than food, including a reusable desiccant pack lowers the humidity in the bag.

Ted

Many folks will carry consumables like oil filters and fuel filters.

A light suck in the sealed bag will keep moisture from rusting oil filters.

My opinion is any cruiser should carry 3 oil changes on board ,

as a problem that results in the engine crank case filling with water will need a multiple flush.

I don't think we're talking about vacuum cleaner zippered bags. I'm referring to the Foodsaver system like this.

Mine is similar to that but the bags can't be resealed once they have been opened unless you cut off the sealed part and reseal it with the machine.

I don't keep the machine on the boat so stuff has to be sealed at home.

While we use a vacuum sealer (Foodsaver) for many food items and a few smaller parts, we have had good luck with shrink wrap and a heat gun. The shrink wrap is much cheaper and comes in large rolls. We shrink wrap our clothes and linens at the end of each season.

Back
Top Bottom