What is this Fantail Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsylounge

I am trying to find out any information regading the Fantail Euro Trawler in the attached photos.

If you have any information I would greatly appreceate the help.

Thank you,

Ryan

Attachments

• img_2443.jpg
    img_2443.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 419
  • img_2451.jpg
    img_2451.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 276
I delete as I thought you was asking what is a fantail.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 1st of June 2011 02:34:15 PM

Thank you JWC for the look but I'm not sure about that. I too thought they might be related but there are some differences that stand out. The biggest difference is the slightly squarish stern that I don't have shown. I will try to take a photo of the stern and repost. It is rounded but flattens out. Also there are three top deck supports, instead of two and the top deck looks flush, Not with any step at the upper helm.
Thank you very much for the help. Any other ideas?

This is not a "Fantail" stern. It looks just about exactly like most traditional west coast seine net fishing boats. One I could lust over though. By the way it's my opinion that this boat is 100% OK w the FB. Nice nesting job w the Forfjord anchor too.

Where is the boat located?* Looks to be no name boat that was built local.* There are/were a number of boat mfg that build commercial but when the commercial died they concert to pleasure.* I would not be to concerned about the name/mfg but the present condition and survey. ***
Its close to being a fan tail as it's sort of round and does*foward slant towards the bow.* Certainly not a standard square blunt stern like most pleasure boats and its not a Canoe stern, so I would call it a fan tail of sorts.*****

Both are damn fine looking boats anyhow!

With some help of a local Broker I have found the following information on "Galatea":

Galatea was built in 1967 by Paul Lindwall in Santa Barbara for Bill Hanna, the cartoonist who created Fred Flinstone, Yogi Bear, etc.* She is among the few seiner yachts designed by Art DeFever, and marks the beginning of heavy displacement trawler yacht trend. Constructed of fir on oak, she is monel fastened. Galatea measures 53.5 x 16.5 and displaces 105,000lbs. Power is a single Caterpillar D-333, dry stack,* turning a 48 wheel. *Cruises in the past five years have included Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Tinsley Island, Channel Islands.

Galatea is slipped in Newport Harbor. She has been added to my favorits list. What about you?

Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 500
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 252
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 275
Absolutely!

What a beautiful yacht. The stern is 100% Seiner but the bow is vintage yacht. You mention Broker so she must be for sale. If ther'es such a thing as a Passagemaker without stabilizers this would seem to be it. In your first 2 pics she only looked average but w the info and pics WOW what a boat. Is that what you wanted to hear?

Was onboard GALATEA quite a few years ago when she was based out of*Port Townsend.*

A beautiful yacht, although I'm not sure she has a pure fantail stern.* As others have noted, it is very much like a traditional seiner stern.

What I wouldn't give for an engine room like that! She's a proper yacht.

I'd say she's about perfect, inside and out! A very handsome trawler yacht for sure. (The engine room appears to be simple, uncluttered, and clean)

Here is an example of a classic "fantail stern". This is a yacht that spent it's life as a forest service boat here in SE Alaska. She's a little more tug-like than the fantail yachts. If I had unlimited money this is the "trawler" I'd have.

Attachments

• sth71249.jpg
    sth71249.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 387
Very "salty" looking!* I love it!

We* have a similar boat that is often seen cruising San Diego Bay.

She was launched in 1914.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 13th of June 2011 12:32:06 PM

Attachments

• pilot.jpg
    pilot.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 274
  • specs.jpg
    specs.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 222
Galatea spent a number of years in Port Townsend, I was friends with the previous owner that had her for some time. I spent a fair amount of time on her as she was a very cool boat... it had a bunch of " original " H/B comic art on the walls. The boat was very original.. but needed to be updated . The only problem was she had a dry exhaust and she would soot up the decks of my GB36 when he started the CAT.* The last owner has dumped a lot of money into her and it really shows. A real old time passagemaker!

HOLLYWOOD

A Lindwall Yacht

Galatea is of the elite Santa Barbara, CA built Defevers. Built by Sugar Lindwall, she is entirely monel fastened. (no rust, no corrosion; ever). We own her big sister, Tonina. Tonina, was the largest yacht that Lindwall Boatworks built and the largest yacht Art Defever designed up to that point. I can tell you that Galatea, Tonina and the rest of the Lindwall yachts are well kept and are very sought after in the Trawler world. We all stay in contact with each other and have become friends though the common interests in our boats.

P5250285.jpg

P3100298.jpg

P3100377.jpg

Richies fun 179.jpg

Wow, a beautiful yacht.
Thanks for posting pictures.

I love a Fantail trawler. This beauty was in Annapolis a few weeks ago. I believe its a Hyatt Trawler. Slowpoke

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
I love a Fantail trawler. This beauty was in Annapolis a few weeks ago. I believe its a Hyatt Trawler. Slowpoke

I've always admired them. Never had the chance to tour one, but from the pictures they look like a nice balance of classic and modern that really appeals to me.

This beauty was in Annapolis a few weeks ago. I believe its a Hyatt Trawler.
I was on one of these Transworld Fantail at a Seattle boat show maybe 10 years ago, and surprised at the lack of headroom. I'm 6' and I was brushing my hair on top of the saloon. I think it may have been an owner-finished boat.
l_195.jpg

Still a nice looking vessel though. 6 ft. in the salon....sure doesn't look like it would be necessary. I gotta say though, sometimes I wish I was a 5 ft. contortionist, if ya know what I mean.

Slowpoke you are correct, I was in annapolis a few weeks ago and plans again for this weekend as well. The boat is a 50ft Hyatt fantail that my wife truly enjoy as our second home.

HyattFantail....I was just trying to find your email to tell you your boat photos was online...how is the bottom work going?

Henry we finished bottom painting today along with waxing. The boys did a great job on both jobs, I love free child labor.

That is a beautiful boat in a beautiful setting.:thumb:

Galatea spent years across the dock from me in Port Townsend, The owner at that time was a commercial pilot that did a decent job of maintenance but she really looks great now in the pics. I used to absolutely hate her dry stack exhaust as she would coat my GB36 with soot every time she was started. There were still Hanna Barbara prints on the walls (originals I think ) at that time. She definitely has a seiner square stern.. when I bought Volunteer she had been in the slip next to Galatea for years and they had very similar sterns.
HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• 6-1-06 015.jpg
    6-1-06 015.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 174
Is this a fantail stern?

What does a fantail stern do or is it just for looks.

img_244695_0_7b8b2fa9954f883b197637d5faf94284.jpg
img_244695_1_d364a57b6e166652ba36c4b4664d2ad3.jpg

img_244695_2_8dcca5cc9f343d3ab39fea141c9a0c35.jpg

Last edited:
Is this a fantail stern?

What does a fantail stern do or is it just for looks.
The Wikipedia article stern has some background, though it's a little vague on the various rounded, non-transom configurations.

IMHO a rounded stern that has one (or more) counters that is vertical or slopes inward would not be a "fantail" - I have the impression that this term really applies to a stern where - from on board - the members are clearly visible sloping outwards in a fan shape.

I consider my boat to have a "horseshoe" stern.

Advantages? The rudder post is protected somewhat from cannon fire, which may not be important to you. :)

In yachts of the size discussed on this forum, the rounded stern would be generally easier to control in a following sea and be more easily driven (less wake, fuel, etc), but it would provide less above and below-decks space, make the use of a swim-step problematic, and provide poorer access when rafted to similar-sized vessels. When I take my boat to the UW Husky football games - or raft at my yacht club's outstations - folks on other vessels just look at my stern and shake their heads. ;-)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom