Bahamas Crossing 2.12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfelds

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kokomo
Vessel Make
Hatteras LRC 48
Hi All,

We are planning to cross the stream this Sunday 2.12 from Lake Worth to West End. We would welcome company. Thanks.

Jim and Meryl Felds
MV Kokomo
Hatteras 48 LRC

Enjoy and be safe.

We are crossing on the 24th. Then heading south.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. jf. Safe trip. I would suggest leaving EARLY Sunday as the winds are forecast to clock to the NW on Monday (Long range outlook). Your location shows Boca so you're quite aware of the Gulf Stream and winds with North in their direction...

Hi All,

We are planning to cross the stream this Sunday 2.12 from Lake Worth to West End. We would welcome company. Thanks.

Jim and Meryl Felds
MV Kokomo
Hatteras 48 LRC

I'd wait a day if I were you.

Fed. 12 1800UTC wave heights in meters

Attachments

• IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 139
Feb. 13 1800UTC wave heights in meters

Yes. I'd be thinking of leaving early on the morning of the 13th. Give it another day to lay down after some pretty big winds on the 11th. Looks like you could still cross the banks on the 14th and 15th, though that is getting way out in the forecast and may not be that accurate.

I use a few sites for Bahamas trips, but I've found windfinder to be most useful: https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/settlement_point_westend

By the way, I'm sure you know this living in Florida, but February and March are, in my opinion, the two absolute worst months of the year for a Bahamas trip. Just too damn windy and the water is still cold.

Though there is never really a bad time to go... :)

Have a safe and fun trip.

Yes. I'd be thinking of leaving early on the morning of the 13th. Give it another day to lay down after some pretty big winds on the 11th. Looks like you could still cross the banks on the 14th and 15th, though that is getting way out in the forecast and may not be that accurate.

I use a few sites for Bahamas trips, but I've found windfinder to be most useful: https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/settlement_point_westend

By the way, I'm sure you know this living in Florida, but February and March are, in my opinion, the two absolute worst months of the year for a Bahamas trip. Just too damn windy and the water is still cold.

In the northern part (GB and Abaco) maybe. But reports out of Elizabeth Harbour have the water at 81. Winds tend to be much lighter down there at this time of the year as well.

Admittedly I'm about 1500 miles away at the moment, but I'm not seeing the bad forecasts others are at the moment. I'm seeing 3' at 7 seconds early Sunday and then as the day goes on and into Monday easing into 2' at 4 seconds. I'd just suggest checking conditions immediately before leaving and delay if they indicate that's advisable.

Admittedly I'm about 1500 miles away at the moment, but I'm not seeing the bad forecasts others are at the moment. I'm seeing 3' at 7 seconds early Sunday and then as the day goes on and into Monday easing into 2' at 4 seconds. I'd just suggest checking conditions immediately before leaving and delay if they indicate that's advisable.

I've never been there but I'm seeing 3-5' sunday.
Looks like good enough weather to me.

I wish we were there. It's cold in Alaska right now. :blush:

This year there have been at least 3 windows this past 30 days alone.

Previous couple of years much tougher on windows.

Right now which may change...I would leave Sunday with downgrading conditions versus Monday where they are increasing in the afternoon....that is a Lake Worth departure.

Last edited:
Interesting pattern right now. Within the Bahamas and following the islands all the way down the Caribbean to Venezuela, outside the islands (East) has been bad throughout, typically 8-10' and inside (West) has been protected and good.

When traveling inside and protected by the islands, smooth, when then passing between two, rough. We encountered 7' at 8 seconds this morning on a short trip.

Last edited:
Interesting pattern right now. Within the Bahamas and following the islands all the way down the Caribbean to Venezuela, outside the islands (East) has been bad throughout, typically 8-10' and inside (West) has been protected and good.

When traveling inside and protected by the islands, smooth, when then passing between two, rough. We encountered 7' at 8 seconds this morning on a short trip.

Just wave height, or including swell?

Just wave height, or including swell?

Including swell. And the 8-10' outside has also been at 8 seconds.Right now on the outside, the wind is 3' and the swell is 7'. They are coming from very nearly the same direction. They're also close to being in phase at 60 degrees and 80 degrees. For all appearance it was just one slightly odd wave with the wind part of it having a period about half that of the swell, so the swell was really predominant.

Fortunately we didn't have to go to the East and our time between islands wasn't long as it was only about 20 nm exposed.

I'm sitting in Harbour Island now. It was very nice when we crossed on the 8th.

But it's windy and pretty cool now.

Where are you off to next Bill?

I'm sitting in Harbour Island now. It was very nice when we crossed on the 8th.

But it's windy and pretty cool now.

Like I said, any time is a good time to go to the Bahamas. Some months are just a lot better than others. We like to freedive, spearfish and fish outside the reefs. Other people like to go and hang on the beach all day, occasionally visiting a local watering hole. Both are cool, to each their own.

For us, calm winds mean a great trip. Windy days, while much better than being at home, are not so good.

We've been in pretty much every month of the year. My favorite time to go is May through July. August is OK too, if there is no big storm. I don't mind the heat....much prefer it to wind.

One year we went for three weeks in March, Berry's and Exumas. We had maybe two days where it blew less than 20 and 3 or 4 days at 30 plus. I try to avoid that.

That windfinder site is killa will be using that again

"That which is lost will surely be found" Anon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom