interesting way to determine sundown...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stubones99

Guru
I saw this on pintrest and thought it was applicable here too...

Use your hand to determine time til sundown by holding it parallel to the horizon. I am sure it is more accurate over water, since you wouldn't have obstructions.

Remaining Daylight on Your Fingers : GROOVY MATTER

Attachments

• groovymatterremainingdaylight.jpg
    groovymatterremainingdaylight.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 74
In the far north, sunrise and sunset are almost the same event on Dec 21 and sunset and sunrise the same event on Jun 21. Fingers don't work well.

So does this mean noon?

Attachments

• onefinger.jpg
    onefinger.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 375
Obviously, no. The shadows are clearly coming from the left side, indicating the sun is not directly overhead.

Obviously, no. The shadows are clearly coming from the left side, indicating the sun is not directly overhead.

I disagree, the fingers casting shadows are clearly above the ones in shadow. The pointer finger and thumb have no shadow!

Funny thing is I have done this for years. Here in the PNW it's about 10 minutes per finger.

Funny thing is I have done this for years. Here in the PNW it's about 10 minutes per finger.

I'm with Bob. Do this regularly and have for many years but I figure it is closer to 15 minutes per finger. It is an individual thing and depends on your arm length and size of hand. I usually make my hand into a fist rather than flat hand and use the fist to measure an hour. At the 49th parallel it works year round. I don't know how well it works in the arctic or nearer the equator.

Back
Top Bottom