New construction: She:Kon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rick, if you get the cabin enclosed next summer, any possibility of finishing the interior of the cabin with an electric heater for some heat, over the next winter?

Ted

Rick, if you get the cabin enclosed next summer, any possibility of finishing the interior of the cabin with an electric heater for some heat, over the next winter?

Hi Ted

That's definitely doable. A lot depends on work that I do for the gubment though plus life is going to take a major change of course if we can get the 'Ole' Woman' retired this coming year.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers!

Hi Ted

That's definitely doable. A lot depends on work that I do for the gubment though plus life is going to take a major change of course if we can get the 'Ole' Woman' retired this coming year.

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers!

So she's changing jobs to become an unpaid boat builder's assistant? :rolleyes:

Ted

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. SK. "...get the 'Ole' Woman' retired..." Tsk, tsk. You're gonna burn for that one my friend.

giphy.gif

Hey Fellas

For some that haven't already heard I'm nursing a ruptured disc in my back. It's gotten steadily worse of the last year or so. Currently in Mexico on back rehab. :blush: Progress is painfully slow. Pardon the pun. I can walk about 150 yrds before my back spasms and my right leg falls asleep. Pushing for a lil' more distance every day.

So while I'm here doing nothing I ordered some supplies to finish up the rudder.

Looks like I'm going back to work when I get home, for at least a month likely two. Once that's out of the way it's boat building season again!
icon_cool.gif

Web log updated; https://she-kon.blogspot.mx/2017/02/mid ... pdate.html

Cheers fellas.

Rick,

Welcome to the "Bad Back Club"! Dont wish that on anyone. Three lower back surgeries and the last one was the worst. But, for the most part, can walk upright just not as flexible. Thank goodness it didn't effect the arms, that would really put a dampener on happy hours!
Get well my friend, and enjoy the warm weather.

Cheers!

Hey Fellas

For some that haven't already heard I'm nursing a ruptured disc in my back. It's gotten steadily worse of the last year or so. Currently in Mexico on back rehab. :blush: Progress is painfully slow. Pardon the pun. I can walk about 150 yrds before my back spasms and my right leg falls asleep. Pushing for a lil' more distance every day.

So while I'm here doing nothing I ordered some supplies to finish up the rudder.

Looks like I'm going back to work when I get home, for at least a month likely two. Once that's out of the way it's boat building season again!
icon_cool.gif

Web log updated; https://she-kon.blogspot.mx/2017/02/mid ... pdate.html

Cheers fellas.

Sir Rick, I wish you all the luck in the world with that. I have spinal stenosis that causes a similar problem. Back starts to cramp and spasm, left leg quickly goes dead, and I fall like the tower of Babylon. Take it easy and take your time to heal fully. We all want to see you finish this boat, not making return visits to the hospital. :eek:

I feel your pain, Rick. Well, some of it anyway. I recently discovered an OTC TENS device called Aleve Direct Therapy by Bayer. It's well under $50 and delivers a stimulating electrical impulse that is programmed and adjustable from a wireless remote. It feels like a vibrating massage on my nerve pathways. For me, it makes a difference. YMMV, but I hope it helps.

Thanks everybody. Getting some good advice and the well wishes help too. :thumb:

I have a TENS Al. Didn't bring it with me! Doh! Was swimming yesterday and it felt good so going to do more of that till we get home. Hopefully the MRI will have some answers.

Thanks again.

Good luck with the MRI.

My physical therapist and doctors all recommend swimming as a good way to get low impact exercise. I'm just not shaped well for swimming. I make a good dam tho. :blush:

Hey Rick, how are things going? I haven't seen you post on any forums for a while. I hope you didn't ditch us for warmer waters. :D

Sorry Ben. Was workin' for the Gubment! :banghead:

Technically it's 'Spring' here. Supposed to hit 10C or for you south of the fence that's 50F. :rofl: Lots of rain in the forecast.

Finished my latest assignment with the Gubment on Friday. Glad that's over. Time to turn my attention to the boat. First up will likely be finishing the rudder so I can get that and the drive train installed. The engine still has to be serviced. I dunno but nobody seems to want to return my calls. Fack! Is my money not good 'nuff for them?

Anyhow. I did pick up two Igloo 150 qt coolers for $77 Cdn Pesos each! Score! I'm thinking these could go under benches in the cockpit or main salon for cold & dry storage or whatever use they're required for. Just too good a deal to let slide by.

img_540269_0_53de323db61111a1ef55f22a72c1b242.jpg

Still sore as hell. First MRI was a flop. I didn't fit in the machine. Too wide in the shoulders and they wanted me to put my arms above my head and with two blown out rotator cuffs that wasn't going to happen. They were going to image my lower spine so why they couldn't stick me in feet first I have no idea. Off to a bigger machine next Saturday. I do have a fear of being trapped in small spaces so a sedative is likely in order!
icon_eek.gif

That's all the news. Standby....

I'd call that good score. A little extra money and two nice size coolers. :thumb:

Don't feel bad about not fitting the MRI machine, I don't fit either. They used an open air MRI. It takes longer but gets the job done. I often wonder the same thing as well. Why the heck do we have to go in head first for a lower spine image? :ermm:

I'm back. Well sorta. Still having issues with my back and leg that keeps me out of the boat shed most days. Updated our web log with a few details on what's been happening.

M/V She:Kon: A Minute or Two

Bought a bunch of other doo dads the last month or so, just thru-hulls, drains, bilge pumps etc. Hopefully I'll get to install them this year.

Standby....

Greetings,
Mr. SK. Welcome back...sorta. You take care of yourself now. I'm positive I'm one of many who want to see that knuckle buster floating and pulling away from the dock.

Take care Rick. Slow progress is better than being laid up with no progress. Good job moving that engine. That's a heavy chunk of metal.

Rick,

Take it from a guy with 3 back surgeries, L4,L5 and S1 last one they fused all three. It sucks but at least I can walk like a old man without the cane. Hang in there, and hope you get better. The boat can wait a bit longer.

Cheers Bud!

Thanks fellas.

Well I'm back (again). Well sorta. Still nowhere near 100%. Have an appt with the neurosurgeon on the 21 st. to see if there's anything that can be done. I did manage to get out into the boat shed today. Mostly puttering and cleaning up the mess. If I pace myself (snail's pace) I can keep going for awhile. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get my 6" x 6" i-Beam up 10' in the air. 8O This will be the gantry crane that'll lift the engine into the boat on chain falls.

Standby for the calamity that will undoubtedly ensue!

Carry on!

good to see you posting again. Can't wait for some calamity details.

Glad to hear you're getting back in the shed. Hope the doctor has a workable solution for your.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. SK. Welcome back...well sorta, again, again. How about field testing this device? The company (SuitX) is looking for volunteers...
Become a Phoenix Test Pilot | suitX
I'm serious.

Hmmmm? Phoenix is the name of the Canadian Gubmet Payroll system that is totally Facked Up and refuses to pay me. :rolleyes: I think I'll take a pass on another system called Phoenix. I'm not totally crippled yet! :D

Finally something worthy of reporting.

Spent the last few days trying to hoist my 6" x 6" x 16' i-beam up into the air! After a couple of failed attempts I managed to get it done and all by myself.

img_563487_0_ef1c28a6a1ad2d71ae0352f8796a625d.jpg

A few more minor updates on the blog update: Web log updated https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2017/06/fin ... thing.html

Standby...

Last edited:
It looks like you've turned out some good work.

I see the family resemblance. He'll be cracking gramps in the shins with a hammer in no time.

Nice work! Your need to establish and maintain the infrastructure supporting your build reminds me of books I've read about the Wright Bros. The needed to establish a functioning camp in the sand fly-infested, wind blown sand dunes of Kitty Hawk. When they'd leave and return after several months, they'd have to practically start over by rebuilding the camp.

Like you, they also brought more than smarts to the job. It takes tenacity, endurance, strength, experience and ingenuity to succeed. Looks like you've got it all in spades!

:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom