View Single Post
Old 02-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
seasalt007
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
What is This Plug?

This plug in has a fitting for a TV coax cable on one end and two small diameter wires in clear plastic leading away to something.

I just bought this boat and it was plugged into a new Samsung TVs antenna input for over the air channels.

I have switched the TV's input from antenna to Direct TV several times in the last week or so and all worked well until yesterday. We left on our first cruise and docked at a nice marina near downtown Sarasota. Plenty of over the air TV channels available but the auto program would not pick up any. Manual input of the strongest channel 10-1 would not work either. The error message said weak signal or no antenna connection.

The Direct TV system was installed right before I bought the boat so I called the company that installed it and asked why I could not get over the air now when I could before? No idea was the answer. I asked what the plug pictured below was attached to? No idea, they just put in the DTV system connected with a HDMI cable and the plug pictured here was already there. Maybe to a rabbit ear, he suggested. Perhaps he meant an antenna hidden inside the sealed cabinet where the TV is mounted? No idea he says.

So I am wondering (all the while DW is asking why no TV?) if something is broken in the TV or the Direct TV, etc?

Then I found in the bottom of the cabinet a connection to hook a regular coax from the boat's on board omnidirectional TV antenna which feeds the stateroom TVs and connect to that and viola...TV and DW is happy.

I don't know why the new Samsung in the salon was not connected to the omni roof mounted antenna and instead plugged this little (pictured below) in to the TV instead.

Without tearing out the cabinets to see where the other end is connected I am asking this collective of boat knowledge for help. What is it?

v
Attached Thumbnails
Coax.jpg  
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote