Perkins TV8-540

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
Does anyone have one of these engines in there boat? I'm buying a trawler with one in it. I'm planning on repowering the boat, but I've got to run it 800 miles to get it home. Just wondering how hard parts are to come by and anything I should be aware of about the engine?
Thanks,Don

Make sure it runs well on the sea trial and hope for the best. Call Trans Atlantic Diesel about parts availability.
I can't remember that engine ever coming up for discussion on this forum before.
PS Massey Fergeson combines use them.

Last edited:
old diesel industrial type engines can keep running forever. Most were conservatively rated so they never ran at high loads.

If it starts well from cold, doesn't smoke excessively under load and reaches rated RPM it just might outlive all of us.

If it has been sitting for a long time make sure you have lots of fuel filters and know how to change them.

Engine components are available from multiple sources for all Perkins engines.

But with many older diesels, the rub comes when you need to replace marinization parts, like exhaust manifolds and risers. Since the marine parts weren't used in farm and industrial applications, they may only be available from after market suppliers.

Like with the Perkins 6.354 the water cooled exhaust components can be thousands of dollars for each piece. You might want to check on the availability of those components.

Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama (MESA) was custom building the exhaust systems. They have an online catalogue. Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom