Replacing battery boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Per

Guru
So i finally got my act together and purchased a plastic battery box to hold two of my 8Ds.

The old enclosure is made of plywood and deteorating.

I have a decen size ER, guess i have a clearance of apprx 3ft.

Regardless I need to lift the 8Ds out of the old enclosure to replace the box.

How the heck does one lift these babies? As with anything I hope that someone has a technique for this and willing to share...

Some of your sailor friends probably have a few spare blocks. Rig a temp hoist ..maybe 3:1 or more depending on what you can get your hands on, mount to the to the overhead, hook it to the battery and pull.
Not rocket science but that's what I'd do.

I lift them out by myself as two people can not get into the area.* Its a straight lift out of the box, so its not that hard as they*weight about 150 lbs.*Once out of the box then two people can lift/scoot them.**

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Tuesday 31st of May 2011 02:07:31 PM

Use of an armstrong hoist is about the only way I know of. After you do it once, you gain a strong affection for GC-2 golf cart batteries. At least I did.

When we eventually have to get our 4Ds out to replace them, we intend to hire the local yard monkeys. Let them do the wrestling. There are some fights that you undertake and some that you know might cause you serious injury and/or aggravation and are not worth it. Hire a merc.

looks like this calls for a visit to my local harborfreight store..
theoretically i should be able to lift it straight up (if there is a beam right there..cant recall) remove the old box, install the new box and lower the batts into the new box.
somehow i doubt it will be this simple.

I built a battery box for Delfin with one side that can be unbolted, allowing you to just slide the batteries out. *I took it to a shop to have truck bed lining sprayed on the inside. *

If you would like the design drawing for mine, PM me and I'll send it to you, Per.

Delfin,
appreciate the effort but i already bought a pre-fab box with the right dims to fit in the space.
wish i had thought to post before.
Al,
picked up a 1/2 ton chain ratchet hoist last night, now i gotta figure out how to secure it off a beam or something.
anyone know how heavy those 8Ds are? I heard 70 lbs but also 150 lbs...

Start are about 125+ lbs and the deep cycle start are about 150+ lbs.* Start has less lead and more surface area for high amps where as the deep cycle have more lead.* The first one is the hardest as it has to come straight up, the other are easier as*they can be tilt and sort of drag out of the box.* Also might want to take some of the acid out of the battery*to make lighter and not spill.***

Once they are out of the box then two people can drag/carry them the rest of the way out.* Getting them out of the box is not*as bad as getting them out of the engine room and off the boat.* Beg/borrow/hire a strong backed person to help you as you still have to get them off the boat to your vehicle.

I replaced two 8D bats with four golf cart bats. I did it the easy way. I hired a mechanic, who brought his helper. He brought the new bats down the dock, did the switch, and hauled the 8D's away. Best $80 I ever spent! I did all the unwiring and rewiring, I just paid for the heavy part.

Larry H wrote:
*I did it the easy way. I hired a mechanic, who brought his helper. He brought the new bats down the dock, did the switch, and hauled the 8D's away. Best $80 I ever spent!
*I agree. Hire the yard monkeys.

Per,

Being Boatless Id offer to help you if you were within an hours drive, in exchange for the experience and a short cruise on the water. Alas, a 5 hour flight plus at least a 1 hour drive would be a little bit much!
no.gif
no.gif

I'd take the other guys idea and hire some muscle, cost you less than a battery or there abouts I'd guess.

Grant

i brought all my tackle thinking i was going to do some elaborate pulley lifting but first i figured i give it a shot to see if i could just lift them out.
somehow i was able to get a good footing and get myself positioned right over the batts, lifting carefully not to overload my back i was able to get them out.
putting them back in was harder as i had to bring them up and over the plastic box but i got it done and i am still walking today..
seems the plastic enclosure is slightly smaller than the previous box so i may need to put in some blocks.

IS the battery box strong enough and installed well enough to take a knockdown?

If not , why not?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom