Olympic azimuth drives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice looking units, I think.

But are they still in business? The last updates seems to be Feb 2006!

Nice looking units, I think.

But are they still in business? The last updates seems to be Feb 2006!

Don't know if they're still around or not...first I'd heard of them today.

Very interesting. Velvet drive, stuffing box and rudder all gone and no need for bow or stern thursters.

In some places a pod drive has the service life of a constantly down outboard

Of course they can be R&R with fairly unskilled labor , but a half a decade for the big bucks ?.

I think their major selling point is the joy stick docking .

Very interesting. Velvet drive, stuffing box and rudder all gone and no need for bow or stern thursters.
All of which are easy to find parts and service for. I appreciate new technology but prefer to let others invest in it.

Pro
More efficient than a shaft driven prop.
Video game - joy stick - steering.
Less space required in engine room.
Con
More maint. Annual haul out.
If hit something, more to lose.

I have had a joystick for a few years, and rarely use it because I was already comfortable with the sticks with maneuvering, and I didn't want lose that skill. They are a good selling point for people who have not had much experience, and the dealer will tell them they can now park a 50 ft. boat. Kind of scary, but happens a lot.

Eventually, most P boats, 40 ft. and up will have them, but personally, I don't think they will ever make it in to the main stream trawler market.

Z Drives, pods, electric hydraulic etc is where the commercial business has been headed for a long time. Dozens of websites for commercial vessels, builders and users of these newer drives can found.

Ever wonder why cruise ships don't normally require old fashioned tugs unless mandated by union agreements? Many of the BC and WA tugs of today have some very neat modern drives, all for good reason.

In some places a pod drive has the service life of a constantly down outboard

Of course they can be R&R with fairly unskilled labor , but a half a decade for the big bucks ?...

I could see shortened life in a dozer boat working log booms or tug in a busy harbour, but comfortably within its design limits with an occasional burst while docking a trawler?

"but comfortably within its design limits with an occasional burst while docking a trawler?"

Like an outboard it doesn't have to run to dissolve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom