42 LRC - Yard Work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TG

Vessel Name
Tera Grace
Vessel Make
Californian 42 LRC
Hauled my 42 LRC for bottom paint.

Decided to refresh the boot stripe. Pretty easy job with the help of a buddy. I used Interlux Brightside Polyurethane reduced 10% with Interlux 216 reducer.
Prepped by lightly sanding existing stripe with 3M 120 grit sponge block. Wipe clean with acetone then tape edges. Apply two coats with 24 hours between coats. Lightly sand with 320 grit between coats and wipe clean with acetone. Applied both coats using foam roller and then tipped with foam brush. Used almost half a quart of paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0488 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0488 (Small).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 142
Since I had a few down days I decided to install underwater lights. I didn't plan this in advance so I purchased off the shelf at WM. Platinum Series Bay Blaze (Blue). Required a 1/2 inch hole for the wiring. Buttered up the back with 4200 and slapped them on. They are also held in place by three screws. I used shorter screws than came with the lights and only drilled 1/2 inch into the nearly 1 Inch thick solid fiberglass transom.

Attachments

• IMG_0497 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0497 (Small).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 129
The Marine Center did the bottom job using Interlux Ultra-Kote. Green is not a popular color so I had it ordered in advance, 4 gallons. It took 3 full gallons and a part of the fourth. I kept the leftover for the dinghy, a future project.

Attachments

• IMG_0493 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0493 (Small).JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 122
Green? Not the customary red?

Last edited:
I'll be interested in your impression of the lights in the water. They look cool just sitting in the yard!

Since I had a few down days I decided to install underwater lights. I didn't plan this in advance so I purchased off the shelf at WM. Platinum Series Bay Blaze (Blue). Required a 1/2 inch hole for the wiring. Buttered up the back with 4200 and slapped them on. They are also held in place by three screws. I used shorter screws than came with the lights and only drilled 1/2 inch into the nearly 1 Inch thick solid fiberglass transom.

We have underwater lights spec'ed for our boat, can't wait to see them!
I am interested in your installation. I'd have been more comfortable through bolting the lenses. I typically drill and use a tap to thread the fiberglass for the size fastener, countersink the hole to leave a space for sealant and then assemble with washers and nuts on the inside.
Maybe I'm just paranoid and I'm sure you are fine but I am curious, do they typically just get screwed into the laminate that way?
Bruce

I'll be interested in your impression of the lights in the water. They look cool just sitting in the yard!

So far working well, plenty of light from four units.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 219
No offense to the OP but can someone please explain the attraction to underwater lights?

I've seen a number of times a good amount of fish circling behind some boats that had them on, in one case a good number of striped bass would circle up and grab the bait fish, pretty entertaining from that stand point and what was even better I didn't have to install them, I just look at others!

For a 34' boat, I'm always amazed at how broad the stern of your boat is Al. :thumb:

LOL! Also, FW's got a little bit of a list to stbd since she was not centered and a bit top heavy. My apologies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom