Today's Fishing Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
Thanks to Standard Horizon changing the cable configuration on their newer remote mike's, I had to run a new cable down the 4 inch S.S. conduit from the flybridge to the inside console. I also needed to run a Seatalk cable for a depth sounder repeater.

We tried pulling the two new cables with the old one but no cigar. Although there seemed to be sufficient clearance, the old mike cable evidently was braided around all the other stuff.

I found a piece of that split white tubing lifeline cover on board and was able to shove that up the conduit. It was then easy to slide one cable down, pull the tube out, and repeat.

Now, I just have to solder all those tiny little wires together and we'll be ready to leave.

And I was ready to get the fishing rod out:whistling:

^&^%$(*^ after soldering all those teeny tiny wires together (I felt like a neurosurgeon) the mike doesn't work. Took it all apart and checked every connection twice - no joy. The mike turns the radio on and off but no display or other functions. I know I didn't cut the cable while it was connected, I wasn't born yesterday. I'm not sure of my next move but we'll be using a handheld on the flybridge for a while.

Wifey B: Fraudulent advertising. A classic case of bait and switch. :D

It's a Standard Horizon, which means the wiring diagrams in the book are wrong. The good news is that they have very friendly customer service guys who are patient and will walk you through the connections. I found all that out while attempting to connect a S.H. Radio with AIS to my plotter. The number is on their website.

Dollars to doughnuts the wiring diagram is wrong and you followed it exactly!

I feel your pain. Been there done that, both ways - fishing wires and finding things didn't work after painstaking effort.

That said, what's the deal with a wired remote from the flybridge to a radio down below? Seems a lot of work to avoid a 2nd radio, or (depending on the model) a wireless mic. A 2nd radio gives valuable redundancy and is pretty cheap, in boating terms.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom