View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #10
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I know a planning hull a lot slower than semi or full.
I would think a full displacement which already moves more slowly, it won't have as much affect as a planing hull but still noticeable.

Anyone have observations they can share?

What % drop in speeds would you think for each type hull if hull is fouled but prop is clean?
What % increase in fuel usage?

My semi-displacement hull is somewhat fouled, I am onto my 3rd year, I splashed in fall 2014.
I have been thinking to haul spring 2018.
When the water warms up, I want to get under there and clean off as much as I can.

Thinking good gloves, a flat hull scraper like what you normally use when hauling out, mask and a hood to protect my head.
There is no nice way to say this, but make a vow today to stop neglecting your boat. Keep the hull clean and the anodes checked and replaced when needed. Check your shafts and props periodically. Yes, this may cost money, but it's the old "Fram-Pay me now or pay me later." It may cost you far more by not doing these things regularly.

If you're in Hampton, VA, your bottom is far more than "somewhat fouled" in that period of time. You're talking of scraping and the very fact it will need scraping says you should have done it sooner and more regularly and it would have been easier and less harmful. Get a diver to examine everything. Have you used a camera to even look under? Gopro's will do that for you.

How much do you use the boat? Do you know what kind of bottom paint you have on it?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote