s3fusion nano marine polish for barnacles, etc...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
S3FUSION® Nano Marine Polish | S3Fusion

I saw this but I doubt any of you are acquainted with this>

Says it forms a slick barrier that growth has hard time sticking.

Can get it in gallons for $120.

Thoughts? I do think someday bottom painting with paint will become obsoleted, driven by eco concerns mostly even though copper is not a problem, IMO, the powers that be design regs that make it so.

Back in the early days of fiberglass we were sure that the surface was so slick that growth would not attach or stick to it. No one apparently mentioned that to the barnacles. The promo material says that it can be applied to all surfaces of your boat. This does not sound like it is intended to be an antifouling coating. The basic write up sounds to me like it is intended to be applied to the hull sides and perhaps to the bottom of a trailered boat. It does not say that it will prevent growth. so if you apply it to the bottom of your boat and the boat is allowed to sit, you may find the growth will not slough off IF you apply it to the bottom of your boat and it does not perform, how will you remove the residue so that you can then apply bottom paint?

Last edited:
I emailed them and asked if they had any studies, documentation. And also about the propeller, if it works on that.

They say it binds into the surface becoming one with the hull, so I Imagine it might need to be sanded off, or maybe there is a stripping method.

If it really does work then when your boat is moving the water should peel off the growth, otherwise it would be worthless.

And if it worked, then you would not need or want to remove it.

Well, let us now how it works out. I have seen a lot of miracle products come and go over my 50 years in boat building and repair yards. It might be the miracle product we all are looking forward too. But I would really want to be sure of what i was getting into before i accepted their marketing at full faith. . Even with a brand new fiberglass hull fresh out of the mold, you have to use special solvents to remove the mold release wax before you sand the hull. If you sand the hull right out of the mold you will actually sand some of the wax into the hull and that can lead to paint adhesion problems. This stuff could be worse than wax if you have to take it off. I am very sceptical of a product that can be used on all surfaces of your boat and it keeps the bottom clean too.

Well, let us now how it works out. I have seen a lot of miracle products come and go over my 50 years in boat building and repair yards. It might be the miracle product we all are looking forward too. But I would really want to be sure of what i was getting into before i accepted their marketing at full faith. . Even with a brand new fiberglass hull fresh out of the mold, you have to use special solvents to remove the mold release wax before you sand the hull. If you sand the hull right out of the mold you will actually sand some of the wax into the hull and that can lead to paint adhesion problems. This stuff could be worse than wax if you have to take it off. I am very sceptical of a product that can be used on all surfaces of your boat and it keeps the bottom clean too.

Of course, me too. I might buy a small amount and try it on the prop, or do an experiment, put some on a panel and hang it in the water and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom