Envirovent and aftercooler removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
When I bought my boat, the Airseps were really not working all that well and you could tell the CCV was puking oil into the bilge. Not a ton, but enough to make a mess. I have put off doing anything about it until now....just tired of the mess. I bought the envirovent system to replace the AirSeps.

Now, I went down to the boat thinking this was gonna be super easy. Well not so fast. I need to be able to actually get to the CCV to be able to cap it off and also remove any remaining AirSep plumbing. In order to do that, the aftercooler has to come off...or at least disconnect the hoses on the top and disconnect the mounting bolts and rock the aftercooler back on the remaining hoses.

Just wondering if anyone has done this or know what I am talking about, what is the best way to do it? Also, I have my aftercoolers serviced by the local Cummins people. This might be my gateway into doing them myself as I get older and grumpier and cheaper.....:whistling: :whistling: :eek:....and they just keep raising their prices.

CCV=crank case vent

not hard

When I bought my boat, the Airseps were really not working all that well and you could tell the CCV was puking oil into the bilge. Not a ton, but enough to make a mess. I have put off doing anything about it until now....just tired of the mess. I bought the envirovent system to replace the AirSeps.

Now, I went down to the boat thinking this was gonna be super easy. Well not so fast. I need to be able to actually get to the CCV to be able to cap it off and also remove any remaining AirSep plumbing. In order to do that, the aftercooler has to come off...or at least disconnect the hoses on the top and disconnect the mounting bolts and rock the aftercooler back on the remaining hoses.

Just wondering if anyone has done this or know what I am talking about, what is the best way to do it? Also, I have my aftercoolers serviced by the local Cummins people. This might be my gateway into doing them myself as I get older and grumpier and cheaper.....:whistling: :whistling: :eek:....and they just keep raising their prices.

CCV=crank case vent

I have removed my after coolers on my 6BTA5.9 cummins. It is much easier than you might think. It looks worse than it is. And servicing the coolers is easy. You have probably seen Tony Athens site and how to service the coolers. Couldn't be more straightforward. You'll want to pre-order the lube and o-rings from Tony.

Good Luck,
Gordon

I have removed my after coolers on my 6BTA5.9 cummins. It is much easier than you might think. It looks worse than it is. And servicing the coolers is easy. You have probably seen Tony Athens site and how to service the coolers. Couldn't be more straightforward. You'll want to pre-order the lube and o-rings from Tony.

Good Luck,
Gordon

Thanks Gordon, for the vote of confidence!!!! Right now just trying to tackle the envirovent thing. ANd depending on how that goes, I might try to tackle the aftercoolers myself. I think we are up to around $1200 for the Cummins people here to do it. It was $800 the first time 3 years ago. The $1200 last year. Nothing changed other than the price.

I have upgraded from the Walker system to the Racor CCV 4500 and the Racor air filter unit. In 300 hours the filter in the CCV was not fully saturated and there was not a drop of puke in the water bottle I placed in the bilge at the end of the canister drain hose. Engine room is clean as a whistle. Best upgrade I ever did, although pricy. Changing CCV filters is two clips and washing the air filters is 3 clips to remove. The cleaner the blowby is going into your engine the less frequently you need to service the aftercoolers so the investment is worth the cost.

http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Racor_Engine_Air_Filtration_-_CCV_Products_-_7790.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks Gordon, for the vote of confidence!!!! Right now just trying to tackle the envirovent thing. ANd depending on how that goes, I might try to tackle the aftercoolers myself. I think we are up to around $1200 for the Cummins people here to do it. It was $800 the first time 3 years ago. The $1200 last year. Nothing changed other than the price.

John,

I just priced the job this morning for my 6BTA's. Quoted $1,500 turn-key, or half that if you R&R and take them in for service. This includes cleaning, pressure testing, O-rings, green grease and re-painting the housings. Yikes :facepalm:

I'd agree with Gordon that the after coolers are a lot easier to service than I thought. I also got the kit for both of mine from Tony which helped. I took about an hour in the removal and replacement of the aftercoolers but hat was taking it easy. Our port side one was much harder to access than the starboard one.

I couldn't find any good videos of how to do it but between us I'm sure we could talk you through it,

Brett

John,

I just priced the job this morning for my 6BTA's. Quoted $1,500 turn-key, or half that if you R&R and take them in for service. This includes cleaning, pressure testing, O-rings, green grease and re-painting the housings. Yikes :facepalm:

Sadly, Land and Sea is going the way everyone else is. I have used these guys and they have been so straight up. Recently, I heard the owner state that he thought that they were underpricing their product and now they have marked their prices up. Like I said, $800 only a little more than three years ago. And now you are saying almost double that in only three years. I will probably be doing mine the next time around!!!

I'd agree with Gordon that the after coolers are a lot easier to service than I thought. I also got the kit for both of mine from Tony which helped. I took about an hour in the removal and replacement of the aftercoolers but hat was taking it easy. Our port side one was much harder to access than the starboard one.

I couldn't find any good videos of how to do it but between us I'm sure we could talk you through it,

Brett

Very much appreciated, Brett!!! I will holler if I need the help!!! And yes, my port side will be more difficult!!!

I am hosting a bachelorette party on my boat next weekend and my starboard engine is not in working order due to me stripping the AirSep off of it. Now I have a motivation to get my things in order!!!! I will be digging in next week as I will be in Florida this weekend!!!

Back
Top Bottom