Remove forward port window,over top of v berth,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

play n hooky

Good evening group
Looking for a good how to video or advice on how to remove the inner brass port hole on my 1978 38' pudget trawler
Regards Dan

The process is a bit complex but below are the tools you will need

outillage-travaux-demolition-kit-4-outils-massette1-kg-masse-315-kgs-burin-plat-largeur-75-mm-pied-de-biche-450-mm.jpg

I just removed 4 windows on our boat. Those were the tools that I used along with a razor knife and sharpened putty knife.

I just removed 4 windows on our boat. Those were the tools that I used along with a razor knife and sharpened putty knife.

Thanks folks
Did you remove the inside brass window with these tools? I apologize as I should have enclosed pictures
I removed approximately ten brass screws and window appears to be glued but unsure
It is laid up against teck panel so looking to minimize damage
Regards Dan
Pudget 37 trawler

Thanks folks
Did you remove the inside brass window with these tools? I apologize as I should have enclosed pictures
I removed approximately ten brass screws and window appears to be glued but unsure
It is laid up against teck panel so looking to minimize damage
Regards Dan
Pudget 37 trawler

I was joking Dan, if you use a sledge hammer or a crowbar I don't think you will minimize the damage!
Try to stuck a razor blade behind the inside brass frame to cut the sceallant. Hopefully it won't be something like 5200.

Dan, the best tool to get behind the trim ring is a multi-tool with a scraper blade. It'll slowly cut the sealant without tearing up the wood paneling-even 5200! A flex-blade putty knife will also be helpful. Trust me, the vibrating multi-tool will be the best investment you can make in a tool if you tinker on boats. I used one professionally for several years as a carpenter on mega yachts to smaller sailboats. The next most important thing is patience! Ben

Thanks for the information
I will look into that vibrating tool for sure
I see a lot of re and re widow frames in my future and this will help
Regards Dan

I totally second the vibrator. In taking apart those ports you'll be surprised by either no sealant or an overwhelming amount. I'm betting on overwhelming. Once you get the sealant cut a sharp stiff putty knife is going to be your freind. Keep working it and prying the port up by lifting the handle of the knife. You want to avoid scarring anything visable!
You most probably will need to work both sides ( interior and exterior)

Have fun and good luck

Since you have time find a bond breaker , a product that will unseal whatever goop was used to mount the window .

Practical Sailor has good info.

When re installing use a sealant , NOT a glue like 5200, I use Bedlast , nothing brakes on removal.

Some folks prefer a roll of sealing tape , again a snap to remove.

I use one of those vibrating multi tools also. Far better than a knife no matter how much patience one has. Try a knife blade first to cut the sealant rather than a toothed blade. A toothed blade can start to cut other things when the cutting edge is out of sight. Estimate the depth of cut needed and put a mark on the blade so you don't go too deep.

As you go use some small pry bars such as Stanley mini wonderbars. I grind the tips to thin it out. Unfortunately Stanley has stopped doing that which I think is a mistake.
Or use some thin wood wedges to hold what you have loosened away from the cabin wall and hold it open. Tape the wedges into place. That will help the cutting.

Before I forget, use tape to protect the surface the tool rides on and no matter how carefull the cutting tool may leave marks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom