Converting V Berth to Rectangular Bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kurt.reynolds

Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
GB 32 is my boat, wondering if anyone has converted a v-berth to a normal mattress shape? Experiences? Good idea?

Thanks

I have measured, drawn, made cardboard cutouts, pondered and scratched my chin to no avail. It's just too narrow at the forward end and the locker and head walls make it too short aft for anything to work. Taking out the head and locker just doesn't seem like a good option.

We actually considered enclosing the cockpit as a stateroom and putting in a door on the starboard side.....still on the table.

That was a factor in our last search that ended with the 35" Senator. No V berth, I'm too tall. however the forward (only) state room queen bed has the front corners cut down some. It still works fine and the installation allows for a lot of storage drawers under the bed.

Knowing the IG32 and the GB similarities I couldn`t see it happening. Doubt it would work on a twin cabin GB 36, or IG36 2 cabin. They are made tight to get 2 cabins in.
My IG 36 is a single cabin with semi walkaround bed. Odd, but someone recently looked at converting it to a 2 cabin. Too hard.

We change our former boat bow from a V to a marine queen. I was a Meridian 368. The level of the bed rose one and one feet to get to a wider space. Cost a lot to make it nice looking, but I do not think we could have sold it easily. It was basically for kids only. We bought a Californian with the queen already in place

KR,
Take a look at the 30' Mainship Pilot II Rum runner from 2003 to 2008 on yacht world. Mainship installed a folding bed that is hinged and folded in two. You may be able to use this design on the GB depending on the measurements. Just a thought. Pretty good use of space.

Thanks Everyone, a big help and some options to investigate.

Kurt

I have seen some owners put a filler (Plywood and mattress) across the open space to make a bigger area to sleep on.

I have measured, drawn, made cardboard cutouts, pondered and scratched my chin to no avail..

That seems like the logical thing to do. Make a template of a standard bed (there are actually several "standard sizes") and see if it fits. Remember to leave room to actually get in and out of the bed.

Now let's think about this - If a standard bed would have fit in the space, that's probably what the manufacturer would have put in there in the first place.

Every boat is a compromise and a V berth is a compromise to use the least space and allow extra space for other things like the galley or head.

"Every boat is a compromise and a V berth is a compromise to use the least space and allow extra space for other things like the galley or head."

Fitted sheets are low cost and easier to put on than climbing up to a bigger square bed.

Most folks are wider at the shoulders than at the feet, so why give your feet space removed from the boat?

We were recently at the Toronto boat show and there was a mattress company there that made custom boat mattresses, coil springs, not foam, any shape or size and could hinge the mattress in the middle. Looked great.

We were recently at the Toronto boat show and there was a mattress company there that made custom boat mattresses, coil springs, not foam, any shape or size and could hinge the mattress in the middle. Looked great.

There are several companies that do that. Look at the ads in the back of PassageMaker Magazine or do a web search.

Still, you're limited to what will actually fit in the space on your boat.

Fwiw.... On my boats, lamps were mounted on the bulkhead at the aft end of the v-berth. It took me a while to realize they were reading lamps, put there because your head belongs at that end. There's plenty of room for two pairs of feet at the bow end and bulkheads at the aft end provide support to sit up and read...or watch the tv you've put in the bow.

Second the comments re: filling the space between the berths. Our 38' sailboat has that in a small degree. We made boards to span between the salon berths/bench seats in our smaller 27' sailboat. (Referred to as our SFB's (supplemental f**kin' boards.)

Look around at other similar length-challenged boats for ideas; someone's surely done it.

Be careful about what you wish for.

A true "V" berth is easy to get in and out of and easy to make it up for sleeping with sheets, etc. A "V" that has had a filler in the space in-between now become much harder to get in and out of and to make it up for sleeping. It usually requires you to get into the bunk to fit the sheets under the peak and sides, etc. Having had a boat with the entire forepeak as a berth, I used to refer to getting out as the "V berth double back-flip". The fully encased "V" is better for snuggling, etc., but you can find good work arounds for those purposes in conventional "V" berths. As they say, "Everything on a boat is a compromise".

Be careful about what you wish for.

A true "V" berth is easy to get in and out of and easy to make it up for sleeping with sheets, etc. A "V" that has had a filler in the space in-between now become much harder to get in and out of and to make it up for sleeping. It usually requires you to get into the bunk to fit the sheets under the peak and sides, etc. Having had a boat with the entire forepeak as a berth, I used to refer to getting out as the "V berth double back-flip". The fully encased "V" is better for snuggling, etc., but you can find good work arounds for those purposes in conventional "V" berths. As they say, "Everything on a boat is a compromise".

The solution is SO simple...it just requires a little creativity: Make (or have made) 2-3 fitted sheets just for the center cushion. Make up each side and drop it in. That makes it possible to remove the center cushion before getting out of bed. Top sheets and blankets don't have to be tucked, just large enough to all the body parts that need covering .You can stuff the edges between the mattress and hull on each side to keep in place if either of you is a restless enough sleeper to warrant it. Socks keep feet warm.

Or...you COULD just zip a couple of sleeping bags together...unzip each side to get out of bed...roll 'em up and stick 'em behind pillows to "make" the bed in the morning. However, this may only be a cold weather solution.

Last edited:
Most folks are wider at the shoulders than at the feet, so why give your feet space removed from the boat?

Personally I view it not so much as more room for the feet, but (and I'm assuming :whistling: ) that the style of bed being talked about would allow easier access into and out of.

Second the comment re: harder to get out of a filled V berth. I added grab handles to the overhead in the sailboat. Few V's actually have much space available to make them in comfort anyway.

Our center double does not offer easy footing alongside for making it up.

That's what flexible crewmates are for!

Remember any berth for two folks may eventually require a "bundeling board" as folks of different mass are moved differently when its Rock & Roll time.

On sailboats its easier as usually folks can wedge against the board and part of the boat.

On a motor boat that has no heeling bias only narrowing the bunk with pillows or clothes will give a nights sleep underway in less than calm conditions.

An old thread, I know, but I need something roomier and easy to get out of. I have a GB 32. I single hand a lot (there are still nice berths in the salon for visitors). I plan to expand the bunk and add floor space and dresser drawers per the attached....

Attachments

• New_berth.bmp
    73.5 KB · Views: 197
AS we get older it becomes more important to be able to easily get in and out of bed.

A filled V berth may require a back flip to exit , and hand grabs to assist a midnight head call.

Being able to sit on the bed to stand up makes it easier.

I agree....I find my self getting up more often than I used too! Having a small space to stand and put some pants on will be nice, as well. Attached is a better picture....

Attachments

• New_Berth.jpg
    New_Berth.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 157
I agree....I find my self getting up more often than I used too! Having a small space to stand and put some pants on will be nice, as well. Attached is a better picture....

I did a similar mod on my Island Gypsy 32, Only the Pullman berth was on the Starboard side and a bit wider than you show. On the opposite side was lockers and a small seat to aide climbing in and out of the berth and because the floor could not extend as far as you show due to hull shape

. It was a partial success. It was a comfortable berth for two with compromises.

1) The outboard person had to climb over the inboard person to get out
2) Making the bed was not that easy but doable.
3) The large space under the bed was not easy to get at the drawers only took a small part. To use the rest you had to lift the Mattress.

Me and the Admiral cruised over 3000miles on a trip South and back on the East Coast. It did work. But not sure it was any better than the original vee berth. Since than we have purchased

a 36' aft cabin model with a walk around queen bed. Makes all the difference in the World. At home comfort wherever we go.

If I were you I would not change your forward cabin layout. I think it just might be the best use of the space available. John and Miri

We decided to trade up in boat size and the v berth was one of the major reasons. Having said that we have a few friends with side berths and they dislike crawling over each other in the middle of the night as old age requires at least one pit stop each. Going to all that work to switch to something that is still flawed would be in my opinion not worth the effort. We now have an island walk up bed and the body is Lovin it:thumb:

Thanks for the insight guys...that's the input I was looking for. Keep in mind it's just for me as I single hand the boat mostly.

We had a boat with a side berth. I loved my wife crawling over me.

Rob

An old thread, I know, but I need something roomier and easy to get out of. I have a GB 32. I single hand a lot (there are still nice berths in the salon for visitors). I plan to expand the bunk and add floor space and dresser drawers per the attached....

mine is already like this .the down side is to get room for two they went higher up so you have to step on the bench or have a step stool to get in it .

the nova we are looking at has one like your drawing, on the side it has steps I would post a photo but having problems (need a teenager) to post them hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom