Overcrowding can be fatal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PlanB

I was just reading about the Bihar boat accident where 24 people drowned after their boat capsized. It's really sad and unfortunate. Such an easily prevented problem caused so many deaths.
Bihar Boat Accident: Inquiry Begins After 24 Drown In Ganga Near Patna

How do you all decide the maximum number of passengers for your boat? I saw another thread on this with some suggestions (consider things like number of children, boating experience, alcohol). Are there other factors you consider? Which are the most important to you and why?

Personally...I always shoot for "conservative".
I have stepped off of elevators when too many people crowd on.
Life is short, I have no intention of being a part of a documentary on people who died needlessly...
I am sorry for the loss.
Bruce

Experience or some kind of published criteria for upper decks or total on board.

The greatest threat to boaters in general is moving up from rowboats to runabouts to cruisers to yachts without much experience on any of them...or worse, skipping any of them.

For those that do skip and/or serious experience in moving up that ladder, keeping someone around who has that experience can be the difference between life and death.

Drinks for 6
Dinner for 4
Sleeps 2

I boat to get away from the masses, not hang with them. Other than that, I look to see what the USCG has certified the vessel for (inspected vessel).

Ted

For me max 4 guest. Want to be able to move around freely without the need to walk over people.

In addition to boating experience... continually using common sense and thoughtfulness regarding safety for all concerned with removal of "need to feed" ego goes a long way to avoiding marine problems and saving lives.

Driving auto/truck, piloting boat, flying airplane have similar needs for the "captain" of each to maintain consistent sensibility!

Commercial boats must undergo a stability test. The results help establish the maximum capacity stated on the vessel's inspection certificate, issued in the U.S. by the Coast Guard.

For uninspected boats, the manufacturer's data plate should give authoritative information, but don't stake your passengers' safety on that alone. A skipper should consider the boating locale and the conditions that exist, as well as those that might be encountered, such as steep wakes caused by nearby or passing boats). Bear in mind that eight people on the lower (or main) deck have a different effect on stability than the same eight people gathered on the upper deck - especially if everyone moves to the same side of the boat (which is more likely to happen on a less-obstructed upper deck).

People bring things aboard with them (e.g., ice-chests), adding weight that isn't obvious. More people = more things. Inexperienced passengers sometimes try to board with things like collapsible lawn chairs, either to use on the boat or at a destination. Be wary! Those tend to slide around on a smooth deck, whether they are being used to sit in or not. If your boat lacks enough places for each passenger to sit comfortably and safely, that might be a sign that you are overloading.

Picture in advance of your trip how your boat will look and feel with X number of folks on board, especially in adverse conditions. By the time the thought crosses your mind that this "might" be too many people, it can be hard to change your plans or un-invite some guests.

Commercial boats must undergo a stability test. The results help establish the maximum capacity stated on the vessel's inspection certificate, issued in the U.S. by the Coast Guard.

For uninspected boats, the manufacturer's data plate should give authoritative information, but don't stake your passengers' safety on that alone. .

Only small boats have data plates with that information in the US or Europe.

We consider many factors but a couple that give us some clues. Seats. If there isn't a place for everyone to sit, then you have too many. For overnight, it's beds. For lack of anything better, the Australian formulas are guidelines.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/boating-and-marine/boat-and-marine-safety/boating-safely/boat-capacity

We consider many factors but a couple that give us some clues. Seats. If there isn't a place for everyone to sit, then you have too many. For overnight, it's beds. For lack of anything better, the Australian formulas are guidelines.

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/boating-and-marine/boat-and-marine-safety/boating-safely/boat-capacity

Nice little summation of capacity on that web site.
It seems to mesh with what I might have guessed at too.
Thanks
Bruce

Using the AU formula my boat can safely handle 24 people. We've done that a few times and the boat does not feel unbalanced. RT, I'd recheck your figures unless you own a Megayacht.

maximum capacity (adults) = 0.6L√B (nearest whole number)
(.6*18.29m)*(sqr rt 4.72m) = (10.974)*(2.172) = 23.8 = 24 adults

Using the AU formula my boat can safely handle 24 people. We've done that a few times and the boat does not feel unbalanced. RT, I'd recheck your figures unless you own a Megayacht.

RTF needs to recheck even if he does have a megayacht.

Meters, not feet. Sq rt.

100' flybridge example.

.6*30*sqrt(6)=18*2.4=43 adults.

Noticed no mention of the size and type of boat.

Noticed no mention of the size and type of boat.

Probably a 16' skiff or something of that nature.

However, there are a lot of lives lost due to overloading from ferries to runabouts, from China to the US lakes.

Tollycraft was one heck of a good boat building company. Approximately 6,500 Tolly's were splashed. Many still floating in great condition. Scroll down to see "Vessel specification Data".

Tolly Classified - Model Selection

:thumb:

Europe takes a stand on the matter, the result of this CE mark which determines the maximum load, number of people and yet sea area and the wave height which constructed the vessel can run.

this debate with good links among the points and the stability of the things they are interested in.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s59/nordig-tug-37-stability-29332.html

image001.jpg

if you have those 24 people, and they weigh about 80kg normal you have a mass of 1920kg, and it is certainly not a problem yet. my little tug can carry 10 persons + cargo 1360kg. I could imagine your big boat could safely carry a lot more.

I have previously spoken of how important it would be to provide manufacturers with the Stability boat full document, so anyone would not have to guess things. I tried to ask the NT builders them and they did not want to give them to me. I can not understand this kind of secret policy:eek:, perhaps the cultural difference?:nonono:

Kinda ridiculous but necessary for the inexperienced....I guess....

Cargo and passengers are dead versus live load.

A boat loaded for an extended cruise versus one used for day trips with more people is completely different.

In the US, I believe 20 feet is where the requirement for loading goes from mandatory capacity plates to voluntary with the manufacturer. Many times they may limit something like the flying bridge, which may be as much structural rather than stability...but rarely passengers and cargo.

The USCG may have those requirements for inspected vessels and issues a certificate.

"27 on a 34-foot-long boat designed to hold far fewer; indeed, the husband of the boat’s previous owner said he would carry no more than eight passengers."

Something wrong with common sense in that tragedy.
I have a 37 footer, most I ever had was 4 kids, 8 adults and it was ok for a day trip around the area. Basically 2 families and my parents went out for a 3 hour cruise.

Boat capsizing is all too common. Often due to people on the fly bridge during a fireworks show, hordes rushing from one side to another to see a whale or as PS points out, live load (people) shifting in big seas like the all too frequent overloaded North African boats carrying unlucky ones to Italy.

The recent Korean ferry disaster is a sad read. The list is endless and the sea cruel.

Back
Top Bottom