New Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Well ASD will have a new dinghy this summer. We bought a Walker Bay Generation 340 with a 40hp Honda. We are having a new davit system from Olsen Davits. Guyer Boatworks will be installing the entire package on the boat when I pull it in March. We are very excited. I also bought a 40gph water maker from Cruise RO Water. Lots of work to do.

Attachments

• 340-Overview.jpg
    340-Overview.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 193
Very nice, Congrats

Tom, that's a great dinghy and with the 40hp on the back it should fly with both of you in it.

When you get it, for its maiden voyage, point it up river and in 3 or 4 days you should be here. :)

ASD. Good to see you at the boat show. I'm glad you're getting the davit from Sam, he makes great products and he's also a very nice person. We also bought our Zodiac from Steve Guyer in 2014. Is he travelling down there for the installation or are you bringing the boat up here?

What length and weight is the dingy?

I inherited a 11' Novurania 335 RIB with Sonas and it has a 25hp four stroke on the back. I can not run it anywhere near wide open with one on board as it can get scary fast!

Nice dinghy! Maybe the gelcoat imperfections really will "buff right out".
How will you accommodate it. Is that a cradle on the aft FB deck?

ASD. Good to see you at the boat show. I'm glad you're getting the davit from Sam, he makes great products and he's also a very nice person. We also bought our Zodiac from Steve Guyer in 2014. Is he travelling down there for the installation or are you bringing the boat up here?

He will be travelling to Astoria for the davit install. Great see you guys too!!!

Nice dinghy! Maybe the gelcoat imperfections really will "buff right out".
How will you accommodate it. Is that a cradle on the aft FB deck?

I will have a 1000lb davit on the stern. It is electric and pivots to the water. The davit is manufacture by Olson Davit systems.

Attachments

• full_RS789.jpg
    full_RS789.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 112
What length and weight is the dingy?

I inherited a 11' Novurania 335 RIB with Sonas and it has a 25hp four stroke on the back. I can not run it anywhere near wide open with one on board as it can get scary fast!

Its 11.3 long and weighs around 679lbs dry. It will have a 40hp Honda.

Keep us posted on your water maker install (with pictures). Thanks.

Comparison between the Walker Bay 340 and Novurania 335. Only 1" in LOA. However, the WB weighs 465 lbs vs. 375 lbs for the N and has a 6' beam vs. 5'3". So makes sense that the WB is recommended with 40 hp and the N with either 25 or 30 maximum. The WB's maximum speed with the 40 is 34 mph/30 knots. I'm a bit surprised not more. Two very similar yet different boats.

Seems more like a small launch than a dinghy. :)

Last edited:
Comparison between the Walker Bay 340 and Novurania 335. Only 1" in LOA. However, the WB weighs 465 lbs vs. 375 lbs for the N and has a 6' beam vs. 5'3". So makes sense that the WB is recommended with 40 hp and the N with either 25 or 30 maximum. The WB's maximum speed with the 40 is 34 mph/30 knots. I'm a bit surprised not more. Two very similar yet different boats.

Maybe more fiberglass??? I didn't see any Novurania at the boat show. I may have missed it if I didn't see a center console.

Maybe more fiberglass??? I didn't see any Novurania at the boat show. I may have missed it if I didn't see a center console.

In the smaller models they generally use a side console.

The Deluxe 335 is Novurania's smallest model and they range up to 41' Cabin models. Most of their focus today is in larger models and inboard and I/O models, although what I've seen of their sales volume has still been a lot of outboards from the 335 up to the 650 (21'). I would guess that on 70-120' boats, Novurania is still the most popular RIB. At FLIBS last year they showed 8 models from 12' to 25'. Novurania is known for excellent quality.

That said, I very much like the looks and design of your Walker Bay and have always respected their work in other items so would think it will be a great RIB.

I had my N out yesterday bringing it back to the big boat after servicing. I went WOT for a minute and was really uncomfortable with the speed in that size and weight of dingy. The water goes by awfully fast at 30mph plus that low down!

My concern was hitting a wave/wake wrong and having time to react to how it responds. So I brought it back down to a more comfortable for me speed. Still fast enough though. Probably with a couple of more bodies on board it will be fine.

I also have an AB Nautilus 15' with a 60hp - love that thing at WOT! :)

I had my N out yesterday bringing it back to the big boat after servicing. I went WOT for a minute and was really uncomfortable with the speed in that size and weight of dingy. The water goes by awfully fast at 30mph plus that low down!

My concern was hitting a wave/wake wrong and having time to react to how it responds. So I brought it back down to a more comfortable for me speed. Still fast enough though. Probably with a couple of more bodies on board it will be fine.

I also have an AB Nautilus 15' with a 60hp - love that thing at WOT! :)

Our smallest RIB is a Williams 325, 10' 9" but as an inboard comparable to a bit larger, and will run 48 mph/42 knots. It weighs 693 lbs. It has a nice deep V entry and handles rough water well, but still, feels a bit like I use to imagine hydroplanes feeling. I think nothing of those speeds in a large boat, but we don't open it up often. If running a long distance, we'll typically stay between 20 and 30 knots.

Maybe more fiberglass???

Beam plus something adding 90 lbs. Could even be heavier material, thicker or something. I don't know but I see it as a positive.

I think our WB (Genesis 310FTD) is a thermoplastic of some sort, 135-lbs. IIRC, hot-molded. Marketed (at the time) as lighter than fiberglass.

If so, and if that carries over into the larger line, it may make more of a difference as size increases.

-Chris

Congratulations ASD - That walker Bay looks really nice indeed.
Always like these larger inflatables for doing just about anything it should serve you very well. I am sorry I have not yet been able to see one of those in person or take a ride in them the layout looks great. That size and power boat will give you a very good capacity with some real useful speed and a vey good range - great for exploring.
We have owned a bunch of these outboard powered inflatables (used) and have learned that size really sets the 'reasonable comfort' speed limits on everything but very flat water days. Generally in days with some chop at 1-2 feet or more the 12'/40 hp RIBS are at about 25mph for comfort and maybe 32-35mph max. When you get to 18-19'/90+ hp it changes to about 40 for comfort and maybe 50+ max. Then at about 24'/ 250+ hp you are in the range of 50 for comfort and 60+ max.

Good luck and have a great season with the WB

I have a Walker Bay Genesis 310 with a 20hp Tohatsu sitting on a Sea Wise Davit system.
A Genesis 310 is nothing more that a Genesis 340 with a foot chopped off. In retrospect I could have fitted a 340 on my the beam on my transom which is 12' which would have been a smater move. But now with my problem.

I have a hard time getting on plane. This is after the addition of dolphins. I suspect is because of the weight of the Sea Wise davit system. I think I may have an undersized prop. The pitch is 10 percent, witch is scary fast when it gets on plane but it is slow to get on plane because of the lack of slow speed torque.

Could any one, who has a Walker Bay genesis 310, with a 20hp Tohatsu and a Sea Wise davit system comment on the pitch of their propeller and if they use dolphins? This has been an ongoing problem and I am a little frustrated.

I thought the parts of the Sea Wise system attached to the dinghy were only a couple brackets? Not much weight attached to the dink?

We have a Genesis 310FTD with an electric-start Suzuki DF15A... no modifications (dolphins)... and it planes up so fast the first couple times I cranked it up startled me a bit.

-Chris

I have the 310 as well without a console. I only have a 8hp electric start, power tilt Honda on it. It doesn't have quite enough power to get on plane, close, but not quite. I am baffled that you can't get yours on a plane with a 20hp motor.

Like Chris, I am confused by the weight of the SeaWise. I have a SeaWise and in my installation I only have the 2, tube mounted clips, and motor bracket on the boat. I know there is an option for a cross bar for heavier dinks that allows the load to be shared by both tubes, but that shouldn't be all that heavy.

So, I think you have another type of problem.

I have the 310 as well without a console. I only have a 8hp electric start, power tilt Honda on it. It doesn't have quite enough power to get on plane, close, but not quite. I am baffled that you can't get yours on a plane with a 20hp motor.

I got ours on plane once with our previously-mounted 5-hp 2-stroke. A fluke, but...

Golden Receiver and I were out, heading for sightseeing, at full throttle. Dog in front much like a hood ornament (as usual). We were passed by a 35-40'-ish express boat, not running fast but just enough to pass us... and his wake lifted us up on plane. I think we gained about 5-7 kts once up. What a hoot! I think even the dog was surprised.

Try as I might, we couldn't ever repeat that with just the hood ornament approach... but it always seemed close.

:)

-Chris

a 310 without a console is a different kind of boat then a 310dx, with a console. The boat sits low on the water. The boat does get on plane. It is just that when I am by myself I have to lean forward as the front end goes up very high in the water. Once it gets on plane and the engine is trimmed it is very fast. It is an older model, 2013. There is a spray deflector that I am going to buy that fits at the aft end of the boat, tight against the bottom center of the boat, flush to the transom. I was thinking a 9 degree prop instead of a 10 degree prop might be all it needs for the extra torque to get it on plane faster. So If any one is out there with the same type of Genesis 310, with a 20 hp Tohatsu. with auto tilt and a Sea Wise Davit system. I would like to know what type of prop you have on your engine.

a 310 without a console is a different kind of boat then a 310dx, with a console. The boat sits low on the water. The boat does get on plane. It is just that when I am by myself I have to lean forward as the front end goes up very high in the water. Once it gets on plane and the engine is trimmed it is very fast. It is an older model, 2013.

Ours is the 310 FTD, not the console version.

You have the console version? I hadn't understood that from your previous note...

You can hoist that on a Sea Wise system? Didn't realize that would work... Presumably you have a rotator on the outboard, too?

I do remember WB recommends 20-hp for the console version, and only 15 for ours without console.

-Chris

a 310 without a console is a different kind of boat then a 310dx, with a console.

I think that is the confusion. I own a WB 310dx Open. It sounds like you own a WB 310dx Console. My dinghy has an empty weight of 137 lbs. Your console has an empty weight of 220 lbs. I don't have the SeaWise stern and bow stiffeners installed, you likely do.

My comment now is simply that the weight of the SeaWise hardware, even with the stiffeners, is not significant enough to make a difference in you boat getting on a plane.

One thing you can check is is the SeaWise motor mount is causing a change in the trim angle of your outboard. I think that may be part of my issue as the SeaWise motor mount may cause a very small change in the angle of the motor causing it to not completely go vertical in the down position.

Other than that, I don't have the relevant experience to help you. Sorry for the confusion as to what boat you own. Good luck finding a resolution.

The Sea Wise Davit (Hydraulic) is only rated for around 680lbs. The system I am having installed is rated to 1000lbs. My new dinghy is around 770lbs.

I have a Walker Bay Genesis 310 with a 20hp Tohatsu sitting on a Sea Wise Davit system.
A Genesis 310 is nothing more that a Genesis 340 with a foot chopped off. In retrospect I could have fitted a 340 on my the beam on my transom which is 12' which would have been a smater move. But now with my problem.

I have a hard time getting on plane. This is after the addition of dolphins. I suspect is because of the weight of the Sea Wise davit system. I think I may have an undersized prop. The pitch is 10 percent, witch is scary fast when it gets on plane but it is slow to get on plane because of the lack of slow speed torque.

Could any one, who has a Walker Bay genesis 310, with a 20hp Tohatsu and a Sea Wise davit system comment on the pitch of their propeller and if they use dolphins? This has been an ongoing problem and I am a little frustrated.

How much do you and your first mate weigh?

For $60, I would buy a lower pitch prop. You need a spare anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom