Island Gypsy hull construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan and Lori

Vessel Name
Destiny
Vessel Make
1998 Island Gypsy Europa
I am underway with my winter project, installing A/C and diesel generator. We will be hauling this boat soon for the necessary thru-hulls. Does anyone know what I will find as to hull construction, for instance: is it cored? Is it cored below the waterline?*It will make a difference to me on the thru-hull installations, has anyone installed any thru-hull fittings below waterline on their IG's?*

Ours is solid glass below the waterline. Seems to be about 3/4" to 7/8" thick just aft of midships and slightly less a bit further aft than that.

An FYI for future reference, we recently installed the necessary thru-hulls and found no coring, glass was a full 3/4" thick at all three spots, all aft of engine bed.

dwhatty wrote:Ours is solid glass below the waterline.
******* I could be wrong but I think the entire hull, above & below the water line, is solid* glass.

incidentally: This is the new 42+2

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 10:25:01 AM

Attachments

• halvo 42+2.jpg
    halvo 42+2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 384
SeaHorse II wrote:dwhatty wrote:Ours is solid glass below the waterline.
******* I could be wrong but I think the entire hull, above & below the water line, is solid* glass.

incidentally: This is the new 42+2

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 29th of March 2011 10:25:01 AM

*I think that you are correct. I just have not drilled any holes above the waterline yet.

And I like the looks of the new 42+2. Have any been built yet?

dwhatty wrote:And I like the looks of the new 42+2. Have any been built yet?

I don't know but here's the site.* Halvorsen Boat Sales

SeaHorse II wrote:dwhatty wrote:And I like the looks of the new 42+2. Have any been built yet?

I don't know but here's the site.* Halvorsen Boat Sales

*Boy, I sure like the looks of the 38 sedan on that site.

Hello All,

I'm considering an IG 32 and I've got a couple of questions about construction.

The first is about whether the decks are cored. The review of the 36 on BOATUS (http://www.boatus.com/jackhornor/power/islandgypsy36.asp) says the decks aren't cored, and somewhere I got the impression construction of the 32 is the same. But there's been some discussion here about rotten cores. Does anyone have a definitive answer for IG 32's of '83-'87 vintage?

Also, that review said the 36's were painted at the factory. Were the 32's built the same? The boat I saw had tired paint - only one coat that I saw - and I'm wondering if it's likely to be original.

Thanks.

Steve

Can't help you on the '83-'87 vintage 32's. Our 2001 does not have cored decks (and are not teak either) and the boat was gelcoat, not paint, from the factory.

Slipka,* The decks on our 83 Islandgypsy32 are cored with hardwood blocks.* The total thickness of the deck is 1.5 inches.

See deck plug image.

Our boat is painted and not sure if that is original!

Overall the boat is well designed and built.

Good luck with your boat shopping.** JohnP

Attachments

• dsc03454.jpg
    dsc03454.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 334
dwhatty wrote:
*Our 2001 does not have cored decks (and are not teak either)
* * * ** Same here on my 2005, however, the hull is painted.

Attachments

• img_2817.jpg
    img_2817.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 388
SeaHorse II wrote:
* * * ** Same here on my 2005, however, the hull is painted.

*Dark hulls are awesome.*
clap.gif

N.G Herreshoff once stated, " There are only two colors to paint a boat, White and Black, and only a damned fool would paint a boat black!"

dwhatty wrote:
N.G Herreshoff once stated, " There are only two colors to paint a boat, White and Black, and only a damned fool would paint a boat black!"
*I resemble that remark.
redface.gif

Watch out! The sun beating on that dark hull may make your seams part and your planks warp.

Yep, there's enough warped planks around here already.
wink.gif

I have to admit that the dark hulls don't look as good as the "all whites" on the water.

nana.gif
nana.gif
nana.gif

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Thursday 26th of May 2011 08:50:00 AM

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 193
Did you finish your generator installation? *I just purchased a 2001 Island Gypsy 32' Europa. *I plan to install a 5kw Onan generator.

What brand and size did you install? *Where did you locate it in the boat?

FlyinLow wrote:
Did you finish your generator installation?**
**********The generator install on my 83 IG 32 has stalled for the Winter.

********* I did install a new hatch in the cabin sole to make the install easy.

**********Building the hatch was not!* Had to match the existing teak parque and creat a removeable section on the dining settee. Will post some pics.

********* The genny is going aft of the engine against the bulkhead.

********* Got a 4kw kohler diesel used reasonable-- it runs nice and has low hours.

I did complete new a/c and generator installation this past spring. I installed the 5.5KW Westerbeke (diesel). As of today I have 92 hours on her all problem free. I selected the area in the lazarette centered just aft of the water tank. I know the 5.5 sounds like a bit of overkill, I originally thought I would install 2 a/c units, 1 in salon and 1 in stateroom (this Texas heat can be unbearable at times). After installing the 12,000 BTU Mermaid unit we found by placing a small fan in the companion way pulling cool air into the stateroom we are soon pulling up a blanket even in the hot August nights.

Thanks,

Is it pretty quiet in the lazarette?* I was thinking it would be quieter at the rear of the the engine compartment.

And didn't you lose easy access to the lazarette and storage space?

On changing the depthsounder transducer, the hull on our 1981 IG36 showed as solid fibreglass, about 1 inch thick, allowing the (now repaired) osmosis plenty of material to penetrate.

Our genset is at the aft end of the ER; it has the factory sound shield,which may help if space issues lead to locating a genset in the lazarette. BruceK

And to think that I gave up a wood boat (rot? just replace all or part of a plank) for the dubious joy of dealing with osmosis in fibreglass.

We found the genset is pleasantly quiet in it's location. I had anticipated installation of a sound shield but found it to be unnecessary, the primary use of the gen. is to power the a/c during the night and while in the stateroom the noise is not much more than a hum, (makes that "white noise" possibly helping the sleep). The location mainly was chosen as the only resort, aft of my engine is a third 8D battery bank and an onboard fuel polishing system. Access into the lazarette is not hindered, it sits forward of the hatch opening and I can drop down and move either port or starboard but when standing in the hatchway trying to load/remove things it does create some restrictions.

Thanks for the info.
Tomorrow I'm having a mechanic who has installed a lot of generators take a look at the boat and recommend a location.

dwhatty wrote:
And to think that I gave up a wood boat (rot? just replace all or part of a plank) for the dubious joy of dealing with osmosis in fibreglass.
*Oh no,you can still get timber rot, 2 expensive timber window frames remade and rotting timber framing replaced while the boat was up for osmosis, etc work. Aluminium (I know,you spell it aluminum) window frames have a lot going for them, can degrade,but relatively cheap to remake, did it on a previous boat.

But I still like my IG. Looking forward to a cruise to Broken Bay/ Hawkesbury River system in March. BruceK

dwhatty wrote:
Ours is solid glass below the waterline. Seems to be about 3/4" to 7/8" thick just aft of midships and slightly less a bit further aft than that.
*David, my 1998 IG has flybridge supports aft on both starboard and port sides, your 2001 vessel does not appear to have these. Have you removed these or perhaps the later models did not incorporate them?

Back
Top Bottom