Loaded question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TSully

I have been looking at trawler styles boats for years and may have become jaded. I have been drawn to Nordic Tugs, American Tugs, Nordhaven, and the like. But since retirement it seems I have a beer budget and champagne taste and these may not be attainable. These are all very nice boats. I have steered clear of Mainships, why, I don't know. Maybe based on some comments over the years from people not speaking highly of them when speaking of Nordic tugs and Nordhavens.

Looking for a boat to live on for 4-6 months during the winter. just me and my wife and likely a dog at some point. Mainships keep popping up in a decent price range and layout and systems.

We are looking at occasional cruises along the keys and maybe up to Savannah and southeast coast (maybe to Wilmington). Minimal if any on the hook nights, in the beginning. Fair weather cruisers maybe 2 or 3 times over the 4-6 months. More time than money so we can wait out weather.

So the loaded question
. How serious should I consider a Mainship 40'. Budget is about $125,000 to $130,000 purchase price, which leaves some room for getting it ship shape. Good-Bad-what to watch out for- pros- cons, thoughts, suggestions, experiences, maintenance issues, loss of value etc, etc,...??? Plan on a critical survey.

For the cruising you describe, a Mainship and many other boats will be more than adequate. As with many boats, it's best to have a model number and year when searching common problem issues.

Ted

Wouldn't buy any used boat in your price range without a complete survey. You want to be there to ask questions when the survey is done.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. TS. I hear ya brother about the beer/champagne. Mr. OC makes a valid point. There are a bunch of boats that fit your loose criteria. I don't mean to be insulting when I say "loose" just that it seems you haven't zeroed in on any particular likes or dislikes other than make.
Like real estate's "Location, location, location" boats are "Condition, condition, condition" AFTER you decide the make and model that chooses you to be their next caretaker.
I've heard generic bad things about Bayliners but from what some TF members who own them say, they're pretty good boats. So don't get too hung up on the make. The MAIN thing is you'll get out on the water where you're planning to be.

FWIW, I think Mainship hulls are are more planing than semi displacement. Not sure that matters, especially with your intended use.
Some pics I`ve seen show all galley etc one side of the main (avoiding the salon/saloon argument) cabin. I prefer some seating both sides,my boat does not, it ought be possible in 40ft.

Ha!!! Great post!

Most of us here have a Champaigne taste and a beer budget. :)

Buy whatever boat you like and can afford and go cruising.

I'm hooked on Tollycraft boats. If you run across one I recommend you take a visit.

Greetings,
Mr. TS. You might want to read through "Boat search 101" under the General Discussion heading if you haven't done so already.

For your usage, the first two brands that come to mind are Mainship and Bayliner. Both are maligned but not by their owners who are generally very happy with the boats. Don't fall victim to boat snobs. It's like a Cadillac owner who tells you Chevrolet is no good.

For your usage, the first two brands that come to mind are Mainship and Bayliner. Both are maligned but not by their owners who are generally very happy with the boats. Don't fall victim to boat snobs. It's like a Cadillac owner who tells you Chevrolet is no good.

I would agree. When I was looking at boats, Mainship and Bayliner seemed to consistently get you the most boat per boat buck on the used market. Nordic Tug and American Tugs are great boats, but you likely will not find what you are looking for in your price range.

Take a gander! Many nice, affordable Tollycraft. The link works; 1969 is just a link number.

]

Another nice moderately priced brand.

The reason you see so many Mainship's and Bayliner's is they sold so many and they're still in use.

De Fever, Ocean Alexander great options. If well maintaind they will provide indefinite service.

I would also consider Hatteras 42 or 48 LRC. It's also about make, you would like it to hold as much of the value as you can, always think about your exit strategy.

We are looking at occasional cruises along the keys and maybe up to Savannah and southeast coast (maybe to Wilmington). Minimal if any on the hook nights, in the beginning. Fair weather cruisers maybe 2 or 3 times over the 4-6 months. More time than money so we can wait out weather.

So the loaded question[/B]. How serious should I consider a Mainship 40'. Budget is about $125,000 to $130,000 purchase price, which leaves some room for getting it ship shape. Good-Bad-what to watch out for- pros- cons, thoughts, suggestions, experiences, maintenance issues, loss of value etc, etc,...??? Plan on a critical survey.

I believe they're very viable for the cruising plan you describe.

Many boat builders use the same systems (e.g., water pumps, ACs, appliances, toilets, etc.). Systems on boats wear out, over time. Doesn't much matter which brand of boat, or which brand of systems. Usually it's a repair or replace, and carry on enjoying the boat. (Some exceptions: fuel tanks could be a big deal.)

Boat depreciate. Some faster than others, but most of that is front-loaded, no matter what brand.

If you haven't actually been ON a Mainship, you'd probably be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the interior joinery.

We had an early Mainship (III), from before they wandered off into fast-boat land, before they returned to "trawler sorta-kinda" boats. Great boat. Very useful for us that it was our first larger boat.

There were points about it I gradually decided could be improved. Things like centerline berth, wider beam, door from lower helm to side-deck, etc. but if we had that boat today, probably the only thing I'd really change is to fabricate a circular staircase to the bridge, to replace the straight ladder... if it's possible.

That said, when Mainship introduced the 350 (later 390), they pretty much addressed all the minor details I had been envisioning anyway. And the later 400s, 430s, etc. seemed to have continually improved the line, although sometimes that's simply because you can often do more with a longer/wider boat.

When we shopped for our current boat, the other two on our short list of three were both Mainships: the 430 and the 400, in that order. My ranking was 430, this boat, 400. Her ranking was this boat, 430, 400.

The final choice came down to interior beam... which meant wifey preferred the interior we got, but also meant I lost the better sidedecks. Fair trade, and I didn't feel strongly about it anyway. These days, I think I could maybe sell her on the 430, given more overall interior space... even if the interior is skinnier.

-Chris

Last edited:
Just my opinion of course, but some boats seem a lot bigger than other boats of the same exterior length and beam. Also, a full length flybridge adds a lot of room without making the boat any longer or wider (it does make it taller though).

As many others have posted, it's not so much the brand as the individual boat when it comes to a used boat. They all use the same engines and systems, it boils down to design, construction quality and workmanship. And any work a previous owner might have done.

If you can convince a broker that you're serious, have the money and are ready to buy now or soon (not just kicking tires), he/she will help you find the boat of your dreams. No cost to you, the seller pays the commission.

Morning Tsully,
To answer your question, it would be helpful to know what "Mainship 40" you are thinking about, there at least three model that would fit that rough description. For the price range you are looking in, the 1998-2003 Mainship 350/390 Trawler model is the most popular sales wise, followed by the 2004 onward Maniship 40 Trawler. I have owned and operated a Model Year 390 for 8 seasons, if that is the boat you are shopping for, there a few owners on this forum that will be able to provide input. If you do a search it has been discussed here in depth. Happy Shopping!

Back
Top Bottom