View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #432
eyschulman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
You will appreciate this Ed,...from a retired steel boatbuilder !

STEEL HULLS with Composite Superstructure / Topsides - Page 3 - Boat Design Forums
I have after many years owning boats and hanging around boat yards have also come to the conclusion that high quality ply epoxy glass or Dynel composite is one of the best if not the best way to build a one off or low volume recreational boat from 8Ft. to 65 FT. If someone is intending to grind a boat bottom on the rocks then aluminum or steel might be a good choice. Few boaters spend much time on the rocks. I had the opportunity to build my boat of any material cost of the hull was not an issue in my choice. Unfortunately a high quality ply epoxy hull is not cheap the bad rap associated with ply construction is mainly due to builders who thought ply was easy and tried cheap or did not have the skills or knowledge to use the system right. I include two pictures of composite sections; the round from the fore deck with light ceiling wood as incorporated into structure. There are also some solid mahogany deck beams incorporated into the deck structure beautify varnished seen in third picture.. the second picture is section from the stern topside. bulkheads hull and house all vary in how many 8mm ply sheets are used. All cut on a computer based on electronic or computer design. The desired end result is a relatively light strong one piece boat even the interior structure cabinets births shelves floors etc.is incorporated into the one piece concept with no metal fasteners except where removal of a panel is needed..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transom.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	61107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0777.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	61108   Click image for larger version

Name:	forwards cabin.jpg
Views:	81