Old 05-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #83
Tidahapah
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Engine transplant Fiat (IVECO) out Gardner 6LXB in

OK all done.
After the wharf trials which were good, went out in the Sandy Straights for a sea trial. All went well.
No cooling or oil leaks, one small exhaust leak that we have repaired, shaft & gland all running cool.
BEAUTY!!!!!
Yesterday morning at 10 30 am a mate and I departed Tin Can Bay after 7 months alongside heading home to Mooloolaba.
With a reasonably strong SW breeze 20/25 knots we crossed the bar , no swell so bar crossing was a doddle. (this is one notorious bar crossing in the wrong conditions)
Headed south for home with no real ocean swell and only the SW to punch into had a good trip down the coast, Mr G was magnificient.
All systems performed as expected and required ( exceprt the digital tacho ) looks like the numbers are going.
Enough detail to know the numbers. Slowly built up the RPM with frequent ER checks. Eventually setteled on 1340 RPM and doing a speed of 7.4 knots.
With the prop requireing another 4" pitch for the desired cruise speed of 8 knots @ 1200 RPM this was all good.
Tied up in my own berth at 2030 hrs a good run of 10 hrs from berth to berth. ( In time for most of the State of Origin Rugby League clash, the biggest game of League in this country) By the way we won Queensland 16 New South Wales 12 The Canetoads against the Cockeroaches)
Fuel consumption for the trip was 130 lts of which 16 lts for gen set therefore 10.3 hrs 114 lts 11 lts/hr.
Really happy with this.
It will be good to haul her out in a month or so time and repitch the prop and do more trials, once this is done and the cruise speed/RPM settled I can put new pulleys on the cruise alternator.
By the way I had to run the generator most of the time comming down as it turns out my radio/plotter supply battery is shot and won't stay charged and at present am running with out an alternator on the gardner.
OK guys thats all for now.
On Monday it's off to France for 3 weeks, eating fine food and drinking fine wine.

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 04:47:03 PM

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 04:48:11 PM
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote