Kadey Krogen 39 vs the 42?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alee

Looking at KK42 and 39. Your thoughts on newer 39 vs older 42. Don't like fixing stuff all the time and wondering if the extra bucks for the 39 is worth it.

KK39 is updated compared to the 42. Only one berth and head.

Kk 39 berths

Do the port setters and starboard L-shaped dining settee typically convert to berths?

The pilot berth apparently slides out to be a double.

We will typically be 2- but occasional 6
Adults

Thanks

Our 42 has the L shape and opposite settee that do not open but we have the second stateroom

Our 42 has the L shape and opposite settee that do not open but we have the second stateroom
Thanks!

The 39 fits in my existing slip, and have limited crew. Adult children/spouses will visit occasionally- wondering if few night sleep arrangements feasible.

Heading to stuart for T'fest.

My 42 didn't have any built ins. You could go that route and use a futton or sleepr sofa. We did put in a sleeper sofa, but gutted it for storage. Our boat already sleeps more people then I would ever want staying that long!

If you are planning on living on board for weeks at a time and/or anchor a lot, I suggest the 42. Space becomes much more important at anchor as you don't have the ability to just walk off the boat.

Also sleeping arrangements are more important at anchor as I like having access to the pilot house while my guests are sleeping. Guests sleeping in the salon would not work for us as we have different sleeping schedules than our guests.

This is a personal issue so it varies by your needs, but if a guest sleeps three hours later than you do you not make coffee.

old vs need replacing- a way to price out a used trawler

Looking at trawlers 38-47 ft, used. Moving up from 45 yrs of boat ownership from 14-29 ft, outboard and sail. Sporadic trips on 40-70 ft motor and sail, but never primarily responsible for their operation and maintenance.

Have not previously owned a boat (other than a Boston Whaler hull) that was > 10 years old. Particularly when it came to offshore fishing boats, I could be accused of having redundant systems and replacing systems prematurely to avoid failure when far from home/shore.

When looking at single diesel boats 10-25 years old, when do you roughy assume that systems will be replaced (assuming good maintenance, but all systems eventually fail or are out-dated functionally)?

Trawlers in this age range have bow thrusters, windlasses, AC/Heat systems, autopilots, refrigerators/freezers, many pumps, many hoses, hydraulics, tanks.
Assuming good maintenance, is there estimable life cycles for the many systems beyond the hull-decking-engines?

Trying to estimate the purchase "value" of used boats, knowing that there will be costs to making her reliable for offshore (short) passages.

I plan to keep her near coastal the first 1-2 years while I learn to handle her and
trouble shoot the many systems.

Greetings,
Mr. S. You may be best to stay in ONE thread rather than re-posting the same question under various headings. Not only will this keep all the information in one place, it may make it easier for future members to do an archive search.

Posted here initially as I too was looking at KK 39 vs 42/44 (thus the relevance). Soon thereafter, I thought a broader audience might have valuable input and not all read the KK forum.

I can delete the post- just point me to the tool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom