Firearms on Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve wrote:
Jean Claude Timothy, got to be a Hatian!
Steve W.
*Steve, I suspect you are right.* There is a large group of Haitians at Marsh Harbor.* The out islands of the Abacos use them for labor, but usually send them back to Marsh Harbor by ferry every night.* Boat thefts have become a problem.* When anchored in a beautiful out of the way place, you could be dumped overboard with no signs left.* Not a pleasant thought!

There are pirates in many parts of the world.*

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 25th of May 2011 06:30:00 AM

And you think having a gun(s) onboard (possibly even with a lock on it) as someone gets on your boat in the middle of the night, armed and ready to steal your boat, will stop this?

GonzoF1 wrote:
And you think having a gun(s) onboard (possibly even with a lock on it) as someone gets on your boat in the middle of the night, armed and ready to steal your boat, will stop this?
*not necessarily......** but I would at least have a better chance of equal odds..

we also have pfd's on the boat.. we can all swim but we stand a better chance of survival if we have to go in the water for any length of time.

it really gets down to what you are comfortable with... I dont think any less of anyone that chooses not to arm themselves ... it is a personal choice

HOLLYWOOD

GonzoF1 wrote:
*Don't know and can't know until faced with the situation.* I do know that I would feel awfully stupid under those conditions.*if I had the chance to arm myself and didn't.

When I am anchored, there are no locks on any firearms on board.* There are bad people in the world.* Some want what you have.* Some just want you dead.* I do not plan to accomodate them.

I do have a clear shot from my bunk to the entryway, and keep it that way.* I have served in the military and have been an active hunter.* I know how and when to use a firearm.* My advice is do not have one if you won't use it.**Firearms are not for scaring people.* That is not their purpose.

Chris Foster wrote:
Winchester Defender, 4/0 buck.

(Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency).
*There is nothing quite like the sound of hearing the cold steel of a Winchester slide action chambering a 12 guage shell.* That alone will send most thieves scurrying----and rightly so.

GonzoF1 wrote:
*It will stop it from happening to me........

SD

That whole thing about the sound of racking a 12 gage shell is straight from TV. Mine are all loaded with one in the chamber, safety on. The only sound a burglar MIGHT hear is a "click" then... lights out. The second burglar might hear the racking sound on my 12 gage.

Keith wrote:
That whole thing about the sound of racking a 12 gage shell is straight from TV. Mine are all loaded with one in the chamber, safety on. The only sound a burglar MIGHT hear is a "click" then... lights out. The second burglar might hear the racking sound on my 12 gage.
*While the sound is "straight from tv" I had a friend that thought it would be funny to scare the crap out of me late one night by removing the lights on my stairway and standing at the top of the stairs in the dark, rack the slide on my unloaded in his mind (it had a empty chamber but a loaded magazine) 12 gauge riot shotgun.** I.. in my calmest voice called out his name.. I figured he was probably slightly buzzed.. and told him not to move at the gun was loaded. When he reached down and turned on the light the barrel was about 6' in front of my face.* I don't know which was worse for him.. how bad he had scared himself with the thought of what he had done ....or how badly I beat the **** out of him after he put down the gun.* I will confirm that the sound of a shotgun chambering a round will get your attention..

And no this has not deterred me from gun ownership.

HOLLYWOOD

That would sure deterr me in my choice of friends!
Steve W

Keith wrote:
Kieth, what you heard may have been on TV.* In a duck blind at daybreak the sound of the slide action of a Winchester model 12 is quite distinguisable.* If I heard that sound in the dark, it would be a deterrent.* Believe me!

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 27th of May 2011 11:19:34 AM

For home defense and boat work, we sometimes carry two BLANKS as the first rounds.

No "racking" required , just pull the trigger.

If that doesn't convince someone they are in the wrong home , the following Buck shot surely will.

The concept is to not DAMAGE my boat ,RV or home, and the noise of a blank will alert any neighbors that something is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom