bottom paint how much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motion30

Guru
** I am sure somebody here know** How much bottom paint do I need to put 2 coats on my 34' trawler?

My 35' takes about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 gallons.

Being copper is being frowned up on and limited as anybody mixed Chile power in their bottom paint.* So of the old salt commercial swear by it?* I am thinking next time I might mix in Chile pepper if high copper contain is not available?*

It's an old wives tale and it doesn't work. If it did, every bottom paint company would use it because it's FAR cheaper than copper. Old salts use their boats so much that they don't get growth just from that alone. There is a scientific test out there that debunked the theory completely. I would say not to waste the time. But I would also advise you call the paint company and make sure it won't make it worse by adding it. We've used the cheapest CPP+ paint since we bought our boat and we've had no growth... None... but then again, we use our boat every week or two.
biggrin.gif

I did use Interlux Micron Extra but now that we are in Alaska we use Pettit Sea Mate. It's $87* a gallon and all the fishermen use it. Saw it piled up high in the isles in a store in Craig. Put mine on last fall and it looks fine now and I'll put more on next spring on the grid.

Attachments

• sth71261.jpg
    sth71261.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 110
I have used cayenne in the bottom paint for my dinghy and it does work. Used standard inflatable bottom paint one year, almost no effect. Next year added about 1 oz cayenne to a quart of same paint, maybe 6 barnacles attached over one year. Next year added some of starbrites compound X, still worked great, so the X really wasn't needed.

If you want to put an additive in, go to the paint store and get mildew preventative for house paint. It's (ta-da!) Tri-butyl tin, the good stuff that was banned from boat paints in this country.

Back
Top Bottom