brian eiland
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Internal Framing of you Wooden Hull

Originally Posted by eyschulman
Quote:
Brian the 4 layers of 8 mm were the thickest sections the # of 8mm layers were matched to the stress expected so the boat weight need not be heavy. some of my 32,000lb is related to heavy twin JD 6068 engines loads of machinery and equipment and tankage. My dinghy with engine weighs close to 500lb and there is that heavy Nick Jackson lift etc. etc.

When I think boat building material my first thought goes to who built it and how. Pick any material or method and there will be good and bad examples for each. There are the inherent characteristics of each material to consider but in the end the quality and soundness will depend most on how well it was done and not on the particular material. The ply epoxy method used to build my boat was used in over 400 builds by the small shop and designer of my boat in a period spanning > 30 years. I have personally inspected some of these boat which have been used hard over time and they do very well and are not hard to repair.
(Built by Sam Devlin in Olympia Washington. Dynel epoxy coated not paint keeping water out, think of it as a wood composite.)

Many home built stich and glue boats have been poorly done and have given the technique a bad rap. I own a stich and glue dinghy that is almost forty years old never pampered still very serviceable. Another big plus for a wood composite is the interior. It is all epoxy soaked wood easy to finish and is quiet and insulated(no sweating). A composite boat can be painted with modern tough two part paint and products like truck bed liner. With darker wood trim a beautiful interior is not hard to build.
I am assuming there is less internal wood framing structure than would be found on an older wooden vessel designs/builds?

Is there any possibility it might appear as brief as this steel framing...

Do you have some photos of the internal framing of your wooden hull?
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote