Maine to Boston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Propnut

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
41' PT Europa
I'm looking at buying a single screw trawler in Maine and running it to the Carolinas in June. I'm a little concerned about the run from Blue Hill Maine down to Boston. Anyone cruise this area or know someone interested in running a trawler for a few days?

What's your concern? There's not much different in that area versus the rest of the way down to the Carolinas.

That is some of the most beautiful cruising ground on the planet!
I'd find a way to at least poke around a little before heading down the coast...
Other than lobster pots and the usual rocks/ledges there isn't too much to worry about. Lots of places to stop over.
Bruce

Real easy run, go in the Annisquam River and stay in Gloucester, then Boston is a short hop after that.

Hi,
Good run down the coast with lots of places to hide. June water will still be cold, with opportunity for fog. Take your time and enjoy the trip.
Roger

I have done that trip several times in a 6 kt sailboat, twice with just a compass and hand held GPS. I will do it again this summer in our 7 kt Mainship.

How fast do you cruise? Do you anchor out or always stay at marinas? Do you have radar? Is this a pure delivery or are you willing to stop for a few days at very nice places? If it is a delivery, are you willing to go straight through, maybe overnight and about 30 miles offshore?

Let me know and I will plot a route for you.

As others have noted, it is easy with lots of beautiful places to stop along the way. But lack of radar will be limiting. The first time I did this 25 years ago, we got stuck in a cove for three days out of a seven day charter waiting for the fog to lift.

David

Last edited:
1983 PT41 cruises at 10MPH. Perkins with 2700hrs should be OK. Big question is how long boat has been on the hard and what condition fuel is in. I would certainly spend a week cruising Bar Harbor area to shake out any problems. It's a great cruising area with numerous harbors all the way down the coast.

Plotting your trip will depend upon time you have available, number of hours a day you can run, and location of BoatUS/SeaTow boats

I have completed a few long distance personal boat deliveries. The last one was from Lake Michigan to Ct. As others have said, take your time and enjoy the sites. 10 kts is very comfortable in almost any seas. An autopilot will be a great asset. A lot of the information would be based on your own comfort level. Plan for the worse, have paper charts, you can "rent" an Epirb thru BoatUS for the journey at a very reasonable rate. We traveled an average of 8 hrs per day for 5 weeks.

On your journey, most ports are off of the beaten path, so stops will ad to your travel time. A responsible and knowledgeable crew will be another plus. In the famous words of Captain Ron, "If stuff is going to happen, it will happen out there".

Have extra fuel filters, some belts, hoses, tools, load check all of the batteries and not with just a volt meter.

I'm looking at buying a single screw trawler in Maine and running it to the Carolinas in June. I'm a little concerned about the run from Blue Hill Maine down to Boston. Anyone cruise this area or know someone interested in running a trawler for a few days?

Maine to Boston is not a difficult trip at all. Perhaps if you relate your specific concerns about that stretch folks can address them more directly.

Ken

Don:

Based on what you told me in a PM: 7-8 kts, fast delivery, no offshore, this is what I would do:

Blue Hill to Tennants Harbor through Merchants Row- 55NM
This will keep you inside mostly but it will take a lot of winding through islands. It will be gorgeous if the weather is nice but even doable with 1 NM visibility with radar and chartplotter. Anchor or get a mooring in Tennants Harbor. Very protected. Nice mussel bed for dinner pickings just to the north of the mooring field where there is lots of room to anchor.

Tennants Harbor to Portland or Jewell Island off of Portland- 45-50 NM
More direct and less island winding. Portland is a great marina stop, but Jewell Island is, well a jewel. Anchor in the middle of a reversing current and walk ashore to the WWII lookout tower. Mussels can be picked up on the northern shore there too.

Portland/Jewell to Isle of Shoals- 50 NM or push it to Gloucester- 75 NM
Mostly just following the shoreline as far off as you are comfortable. Isle of Shoals has a few free moorings, but don't try to anchor there.

You could probably stretch the first two legs and shorten up the last one. But Tennants, Portland or Jewell are superb stops. Isle of Shoals is bleak but dramatic.

David

Just checked tonight's marine forecast. Gale Warning.
MassBay, seas 2-4', Stellwagen, 4-7', Gulf of Maine, 9-15', RI Sound, 5-8'.
June should be quieter but you never know. I was stuck in Scituate Harbor for a week waiting for seas to calm down. At 5-7' you either slow down or pound your teeth out.
Allow for extra time, especially on a newly purchased boat.

Kind of an unfair scare tactic in my book. Winter in New England doesn't compare to June. OP is a little apprehensive as it is about the trip. Let's play nice and not add drama

Isle of Shoals has a few free moorings, but don't try to anchor there.

For the record, there are NO free moorings in Gosport Harbor (Isles of Shoals.)

There are a lot of PRIVATE moorings. Some belong to local residents and the hotel on Star island, and are off-limits. Some belong to local fishermen, and you risk your life taking those. Some belong to local yacht clubs, and you risk being sworn at by a very unpleasant lady if you take the wrong one.

Often, mid-week or in poor weather when the YC moorings aren't fully occupied, you can get away with "borrowing" one over night. At least one of the YC's actually allows this by policy. But if a member shows up you have to move. Anchoring is not really an option. If there are no other free YC moorings and you get kicked off at 9 PM, then what?

Kind of an unfair scare tactic in my book. Winter in New England doesn't compare to June. OP is a little apprehensive as it is about the trip. Let's play nice and not add drama

Totally Agree. This is not a terribly difficult trip.

To the OP: I left you a Private Message.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom